Other Birds laying eggs with your chickens??

dragonlady12

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
We had an interesting discovery. We went to collect our eggs from our girls, and we found this smaller brown egg in with the other eggs. All our girls tend to lay in the same spot or the opposite corner of the coop so we always have a pile of eggs.

You can see it in the middle. The one right above it is our turkey egg and the rest are chicken. Any ideas what type of bird would lay that small brown egg and be allowed to by the chickens?

Once in a while, a hen's system will have a glitch and you'll get these eggs, double yolkers or an egg within an egg! Chickens can do some weird things from time to time. :)

Thanks for this thread. We found the very same thing today...I thought another bird had laid in there!
Does anyone know if it is edible?

I don't think they generally have a yolk do they? And they are so tiny I can't imagine eating them. I used to save them and my mother would save hers for me too. I had an adorable collection of every possible color. :)

LOL - I should have been more clear. I would not want to eat an egg without a yolk - yuck! But, it should be perfectly edible, otherwise :).

Back
Top Bottom