Our 20 Piece McNuggets

nikichickee

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Our day old babies arrives yesterday. They are a hybrid of a White Rock momma and a RIR papa, I am understanding that these are called sex-links, yes? Is there a more breed specific name for my little ones or is that as close as we get? Anywho, here are the cuties :) And no, they will never REALLY be nuggets lol

Lastly, I have one chick with pasty butt. I have cleaned it twice today (should I be doing this more frequently?) and stimulated with an olive oil coated q-tip. I see suggestions to offer yogurt as a probiotic. Would greek yogurt be acceptable? I'm also seeing conflicting advice to not feed them anything but starter for the first week. She seems to be in good spirits and is otherwise well. Thanks in advance!
Niki

One more question: We have a white warmer bulb. I see posters/articles mentioning that this might overstimulate the chicks. They settled in nicely last night (they are in my bedroom) and seem to be headed in the same direction tonight. is there still cause for concern or have they adapted to it? I saw the option of covering the lamps with aluminum foil for incubating purposes and was wondering if this is something I could consider for the night should it becomes a problem.

You are doing fine with the pasty butt. I clean mine as they need it.
You can feed them yogurt. Some people do prefer not to feed treat early, but I have some chicks I fed 'treats' in their first 3 days. In this cause, and in mine, you have a 'medical' reason for it.

The red heat lamps do help keep them calmer. It also help when and if they start picking. I had a white lamp over mine because all my reds were blown and when they started picking at each other, it took less than a day for them to kill another chick. I changed it to red and I haven't had issues since. The red lamp also makes any blood shown a little harder to see.

Gotchya, so far no pecking but I will pick up a red lamp this weekend. Sooner if we run into a problem of course. Is straight probiotic an option instead of yogurt? I have powdered probiotics for my children I could easily dilute in water.

just curios to add to this

i know red lamps keep them calmer

what about no light emitted

i mean the ceramic ones

would it be advisable to change for a red buld instead of the ceramic

Back
Top Bottom