Our buff Silkie and her new chicks

PulletSurpriseWinner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, all:

Here are some pics of McNugget and her babies. We got a partridge Silkie, a black Silkie, two Ameraucana bantams, and two lavender Belgian D'Anvers bantams.

Here's "Nuggie" on the nest box, with the babies, and Torey holding one of the D'Anvers.

The local farm really came through for us, and McNugget is turning out to be a very good little mom.

How satisfied she looks! Everything I read says silkies makes such good mothers. I'm hoping my buff silkie will take to the new babies even though she herself is only 5 months old. Congratulations on your new wee ones!

They are precious!! Mama looks very pleased!! I'm really happy for you and McNugget
wee.gif

How satisfied she looks! Everything I read says silkies makes such good mothers. I'm hoping my buff silkie will take to the new babies even though she herself is only 5 months old. Congratulations on your new wee ones!
hugapug,

as long as your silkie's been broody consistently for a few weeks, she'll most likely take the chicks as hers. We worried ourselves down to a nub about whether it would work with McNugget, but no need. Their maternal instincts are so strong that it's the number one thing in their lives. 'Nuggie is a very content little hen, but we've never seen her THIS happy. Things should work out fine for you and and your Buff Silkie mom.

Thanks to you and prizma for the kind words! We're really having fun watching her raise her brood.

Back
Top Bottom