Our duckling has absorbed his yolk sac, but struggling to stand..

I agree since it just absorbed it's yolk it may take another two days for it to start eating and a few hours at least before it can attempt to stand. All of my assisted hatches and or those that hatched with yolk to absorb take much longer to find their legs and longer to start eating then those that hatched on their own. I give all of mine Poultry Cell to help perk them up and get them walking. Electrolytes are good, but I've found that those that hatched with yolk to absorb always need a good dose of niacin to help them walk. As far as the brooder goes humidity only is a concern for hatching. Your duckling can go with the others once dried and it will help keep it from being stressed, but it needs to be placed in a small container so it doesn't get trampled until it can stand on it's own. I keep a clear plastic food storage container for these instances so the duckling can still see the others.
Thank you!

So when our new one is dry I can put him with Pip, our premature one?
But I should make him a nest in a small container?
As for niacin, is there something you can recommend? I get most of the things I need a Truck and Tractor Supply, I’m wondering if they have anything like that with directions on how much to give Pip.
I’m so worried he will get dehydrated and starve!
As you can tell I’m a first timer at this. I rescued the eggs after their mother was killed by a fox. The eggs were about 10 days old at the most. So I’m basically clueless and I scour the internet trying to figure out exactly what to do!

Thank you so much for your help and kindness.

Hugs,
Amy 💕

He doesn't need to eat yet, in sac is inside him. Has he opened is eyes yet? Try egg yolk water with a bit of sugar, but birds that hatch early might not be okay in other places.
I’ll give that a try. Thank you!
What did you mean by they might not be ok in other places?
Should he not be in his brooder box?? 🥰

Thank you!

So when our new one is dry I can put him with Pip, our premature one?
But I should make him a nest in a small container?
As for niacin, is there something you can recommend? I get most of the things I need a Truck and Tractor Supply, I’m wondering if they have anything like that with directions on how much to give Pip.
I’m so worried he will get dehydrated and starve!
As you can tell I’m a first timer at this. I rescued the eggs after their mother was killed by a fox. The eggs were about 10 days old at the most. So I’m basically clueless and I scour the internet trying to figure out exactly what to do!

Thank you so much for your help and kindness.

Hugs,
Amy 💕
Yes they can go together as long as there is a barrier to prevent trampling. "Poultry Cell" which is what I use is carried by Tractor Supply and it also has niacin in it. You can give .25cc with a syringe by putting a drop at a time on the inside of the bill allowing your duckling to "chew" in-between drops or you can dilute it in a small cup of water. I bought a pack of those restaurant dressing cups for this purpose since they fit nicely in the plastic Tupperware container. For the salad cups I put a capful in with the water if I'm not giving it with a syringe. It sounds like a lot, but when they are weak they will barely drink so it ensures they are getting a good dose if you don't want to use a syringe.

Back
Top Bottom