Our first baby chick was just born. Help! Not sure what to do!!!!

Happy Day Farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
We have had day old chicks before from a hatchery but this is all new territory for us! We have had a New Hampshire Red sitting on a Japanese Bantam egg for weeks. We thought there was no chance it had been fertilized but thought we would let her be just in case. Well- it hatched today! The foster mother has a tiny Japanese Bantam chick. We moved her to a large rabbit cage with her new baby to separate her from the flock. I have read that she will teach it to eat and drink. How long should we leave them together? The hen is used to being in a large coop with access to the outside. Will she be ok in a cage? For how long? Thanks so much. This is new territory for us!

It is usually best, or more natural to leave chicks with their mother hen. Since the chicks is so tiny, keep a close eye on them to make sure the hen is doing okay with the chick. Make sure you supply started feed and fresh water in small enough containers the chick can eat from. If the hens is attentive to her new chick she won't be worried about going outside and will be fine in the cage. She may start to get bored or restless in the smaller cage after the chick is about 1 -2 weeks old. If so, try to give them a larger cage or you can take them outside to "play" a few times a day, as long as its in an area you can supervise and safely get the hen and chick back into the cage when done. What are the other types of birds in the coop? Once the chick is a little bigger(at least a few weeks), as long as Mom is attentive and watches over the chick, you can probably move it back to the coop. The mother hen will protect her chick from the others. But, if you have a seperate place to put them it would be safer and less worry.
Hope this helps. I have some chick experience but hopefully someone with more has ideas for you.

Would love to see pics!

The other chickens in the coop are....
2 cochin roosters
2 new hampshire red hens
1 silkie rooster
2 silkie hens
2 blue cochin hens
1 japanese bantam

We also have fourteen 10 week old pullets but they are still separate from the older chickens.

Thank you so much for the advice. Do you think if I keep them separate for 2 weeks, I could introduce them to the rest of the flock? The chick is so tiny, it worries me.

I would wait to introduce into the flock more than 2 weeks. Momma will protect the chick but the other pullets will peck at the little baby. I kept mine in the run but I had a separate screened in area so everyone could see everyone else but the chicks were protected. Now my hatchlings are 6 weeks for two weeks they have slept in the coop with the flock but I still keep them separate - neighbors cats a little too curious. Momma Dot just joined the flock for most of the days.

Hope that helps
Caroline

I have not had very good luck with broody hens raising my chicks I had hatched 9 chicks but I found 7 dead chicks on the ground
barnie.gif
I am not going to let my hens hatch any more, but I bought a sillkie for raising chicks because they are suppose to be good broody hens:clap

We borrowed 2 BR eggs and had our insistent EE brood them. All is so well. She teaches and protects them totally. We close them up in to food storage shed at night. They are 5 weeks and I'm introducing the older hens one by one, and watch very closely. They join in the nursery playground. (my back yard). But separate the ol' gals @ night. works great.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom