Our first coop is ready to go!

Wabi Sabi

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Our very first coop is ready to go!

After keeping an eye on Craigslist for months I came upon used Chick-n-Hutch that seemed like a good price. I've wanted chickens for years and after buying the coop on a whim decided to take the plunge! Turns out the the coop/run is quite flimsy and was in rough shape even though the previous owner had only used it a short time. Had I paid full price I'd feel pretty ripped off, but since it was cheap and used, eh. It's all good.

First and foremost, I am not handy at all and neither is my husband so I wanted something pre-built but was on a tight budget. The coop is located in a corner where the garage and back of the house meet and is not visible from the road or the rest of the yard. Therefore it didn't have to look exceptionally nice, but I still wanted something that was reasonably decent to the eye.

I re-stained the exterior and added hardware cloth to protect against predators. The bottom is completely lined in chicken wire with an apron that extends past the edges with bricks/cinder blocks on top. I also bought a $5 bread box at Goodwill, removed the back, cut a hole in the back of the coop and attached it to create a nesting box. The kids will love gathering eggs without having to open the whole coop! I still need to get a latch to lock the nest box but otherwise we're good to go!

Approximate cost breakdown:

Coop- $80
Wire (hardware cloth is expensive!)- $45
Stain, sandpaper, disposable foam brushes, etc.- $20
Breadbox from Goodwill- $5
Bricks- free from friends
Hardware- free random nuts and bolts I found in the bottom of our tool chest

It's a small run/coop but hopefully should work well for us beginners! Our 3 bantams (from one of my son's kindergarten classmates) are due to arrive tomorrow and hopefully they'll like it.

32211_1473176311206_1287601874_31333181_4441076_n.jpg

32211_1473203031874_1287601874_31333224_3929040_n.jpg

Last edited:
clap.gif
The bread box is hilarious!! So clever!! Ha! I can see the practical joke of someone sticking a loaf in there for when you go to collect eggs...hehehe!
tongue.png
Your new little chickens will love their new home!

i love the bread box too and now am thinking i need to make a trip to the junk store to see if i can find one, because currently my silkies have a modified cat liter bucket. and i think it looks horrible. plus if its attached to the outside like yours then they have that much more room to move in their coop since so far they refuse to go outside in their run.
hu.gif

Quote:
They are pretty heavy cinderblocks that are just on top of the apron to hold it down and in place. We have all sorts of utility lines that run underground in that corner of the house so I'm afraid of doing any actual digging plus I'm not 100% certain yet that we're going to keep the coop in this exact spot. We might end up moving it once we get the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom