Our first hatch

Dan Schlemmer

Chirping
Feb 12, 2016
We are excited like new parents !! 14 out of our 26 eggs have hatched and numerous more are pipped. What an exhausting 24 hr period for us. Lol. Yesterday at 4 am we had a cple eggs pip thru and a whole bunch more of them were rocking away. Then the bator got quiet. For hours no more little chirps and very little rocking. I got worried and was pacing and frantic. I never thought at 52 yrs old I would b such a nervous wreck over chickens. Lol. To make a long story shorter... I read many threads from BYC on what to do and not to do to help the little fellas and I will agree that sitting on my hands was the best advice in my situation. It has been an exciting FFA project for the daughter (probably more exciting for the wife and I ) and can't wait to do it again. We can't stop peering into the incubator. It's a wonder the remaining eggs aren't broke from all the commotion the newborns are creating. Rambunctious little fellas. Thanx to all the people who post their experiences and advice on BYC. This is a pretty Kool site and I am glad we joined.

Hi and welcome to BYC - congrats on your new chicks! I'm sure that you and your family will love keeping chickens - its addictive for sure. You seem to know your way around BYC, but I'll mention the learning centre, your state thread and, of course the members. We are a friendly bunch and we like to help each other out - so don't hesitate if you any questions!

All the best
CT

Thank u very much. I have been researching on BYC since before I started this project. I agree totally on the fact that this is a friendly bunch of enthusiasts and by reading many threads over the last month or so....a very knowledgable group.

You are most welcome Dan. Yeah, i think that most of us were lurkers before joining so i reckon thats normal.

Cheers
CT

Hi everyone. It is now day 23 and all is good...and quiet on the home front. Lol. Chicks are now moved out of the bator into a large plastic tote in our living room for the next week and then they will b transferred to the garage and take up residence there in a huge hard plastic water tank for cattle. We had 20 out of 26 eggs hatch and all are doing great. That is right at a 77% hatch rate which from what I've read is great. They are already drinking and eating on their own. I will try to post a few pix. Never tried doing it here before so bare with me if
it doesn't work

welcome-byc.gif

Congrats on a wonderful first hatch! Probably the first hatch of many judging from what I've read, lol.

Cute little things, glad to hear they are doing well for you!

Back
Top Bottom