Our goats are raising calves :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's dairy calves that are pulled, not all calves!

And I wouldn't say it's common for cows to reject or abondon their calves. Atleast not in my experience. In fact I can only remember one time one that I might consider abandoned (and I think the calf had something wrong w/ it).

Now we've always been fairly small, most we've had was probably around 50 (and by we I'm refering to my family), currently my dad has somewhere around 30, and my mom only has 4.

My current cow and calf are/were both bottle babies and neither were rejected, there are lots of things that might cause a beef calf to be orphaned.

Quote:
Ducklove, calm down and breathe.

FYI not only have 'saved' hundreds of calves (and done it without feeding them directly on goats) but, I do caprine rescue - and I have seen the does who have been used for this type of thing. Its not a pretty sight, I assure you.

Wow, thats the first time I've ever been called an animal rights activist LOL

Just relax a little bit, I said the calves look good and that goat milk is very good for raising calves on, but I want to warn Cara, Havirus and anyone else who thinks this is a good way to raise calves ... that it is not at all healthy for the does.

Go ahead and do it if you want to, but be warned the udders wont stand up to that kind of treatment.

I was curious as to the effect of the cow butting and sucking on goat udders...glad I found out!

I don't have either of them, but still wanted to know.

Quote:
Ducklove, calm down and breathe.

FYI not only have 'saved' hundreds of calves (and done it without feeding them directly on goats) but, I do caprine rescue - and I have seen the does who have been used for this type of thing. Its not a pretty sight, I assure you.

Wow, thats the first time I've ever been called an animal rights activist LOL

Just relax a little bit, I said the calves look good and that goat milk is very good for raising calves on, but I want to warn Cara, Havirus and anyone else who thinks this is a good way to raise calves ... that it is not at all healthy for the does.

Go ahead and do it if you want to, but be warned the udders wont stand up to that kind of treatment.

I mentioned in my first post
After a couple of weeks he got too big to feed from her, as they can damage the doe's udder by butting.

I think I am aware that it may pose a problem long term!! I don't need reminding four times over. I've also told you multiple times that the calves are now on bottles instead as they are bigger and stronger. Please stop trying to look for an issue where there is none.​

Quote:
Yes these are beef calves, although the heifer won't be eaten, she'll stay to breed from. They are called Red Bells, they are a composite breed of Gelbvieh, Brahma, Hereford, and Red Angus. The majority of them have white faces like a Hereford, but mine are both solid red. They are unique to the ranch, as they were created to thrive in this climate with this kind of pasture.

Percentage wise i'm not sure exactly how common it is here to have orphans. I usually have one or two to raise a year, i'm not sure about the other camps on the ranch but it's probably about the same. That is out of 3200 cow/calf pairs though. Then there are some that unfortunately aren't found in time, or are killed by coyotes. The terrain here in spots makes it hard to see some things unless you are right up on them. The pastures are also very large, my husband takes care of approx. 180,000 acres, so there is a greater potential than say in a small, flat pasture.

Wow! I want to hear more about this ranch you live on. That's huge!!!! Who owns it? How do they work it? What are the camps? This sounds really neat!

pop.gif

I'm glad the calves are doing well.
smile.png

It's owned by a family, although it's up for sale. It has been for several years though, and I doubt with this economy it's going to sell anytime soon.

It's 292,000 acres. It's like living in our own national park! Whichever way we look we can only see the ranch. Our mailbox is about 10-12 miles from our house, and there's not even radio out here! Thankfully we have satellite TV and DSL though. I can't remember how many camps there are in total, as there are several that aren't lived in. With the sale they are trying to keep the expenses to a minimum. There are about 15 employees, mostly cowboys/camp men, a cook, and a heavy equipment operator. My FIL is the manager, and he's been here since the 1960s when he hired on as a cowboy. He still helps with the cattle works, he prefers it to being in the office.

It's a working cattle ranch, and we raise our own horses also. There are about 90 horses, and a mare band of maybe 20 or so.

initially you had not said that they were on bottles, only that the does were being put on to the milk stand a couple times a day and the calves let out to suck.

But thank you, very much for clearing that up, much better for all involved if the calves are now on bottles.

I never said I thought it was a good idea, I did admit to my calf nursing on the goat, but I also said I didn't put her on the goats because I didn't want any ruined udders. I also admitted to having one goat that apparently liked being mom to a calf, and that was stopped when the calf was moved in w/ the bucks.

Sorry, just noticed words were being put in my mouth and wanted to defend myself. My calf was never taken off the bottle til I started having my Cow feed her, and I think she has the right equipment to handle it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom