Out for blood...

I agree this is a predator, maybe a smaller one as I imagine a fox would likely devour a 8wk old, but I’m no expert, the only time my family has lost chickens is when there was no survivors

The reason I suspect the others or one of the others is because I’ve seen tail feathers from the dead chick all over the yard. Only recently did I notice it was bad, then she died. I doubt hawks/foxes as both would have cause more damage. As for dogs/cats, I doubt cats though a dog is possible, but not sure. The only animals I’ve noticed in my yard no matter the time of day are birds (all small breeds) one opossum that visits when I forget to burn my trash but I haven’t seen him in weeks as I’ve been trying to keep up with my outside critter attractants. And squirrels that play endlessly all day long. They will be searching for nuts right next to the chickens so I don’t think they did it. So frustrating. This happend when sun was setting but still plenty of light yet.

How old was she? Birds go through a multitude of juvenile molts before getting their adult plumage, then adults go through their first big molt in the fall after they've turned a year old.
Only 8 weeks. Their tail feathers started getting nice and big maybe 3 weeks ago give or take. Since then I’ve noticed random feathers all tail area throughout their favorite hang out spots since then. I’ve heard it’s rare but possible the other chicks found her too weak/sick and chose to act upon it? Not sure. Every day looks more and more like I need a roo in my mix.

It's really hard to say just what happened.
Maybe the chicks had been plucking tail feathers....or they were coming out as part of a molt...they may have plucked more after she was dead.
Why/how she died may also never ascertained.
If she was picked on she may have panicked during a scuffle and flew into something, breaking her neck...or could have had a heart issue that finally did her in.

Was she cold when you found her, as in been dead for a awhile?
If she was I doubt predator, as most would have taken bird to eat or eaten there.
If she was still warm, then you may have scared off the pred that killed her.

What ever happened, a 'rooster' is not likely to solve the issue,
would likely just introduce new problems at this point.
Unless you can find a proven good mature cockbird over a year old.

My pullets and chicks were constantly losing feathers. They may have pulled some feathers out of each other, but if your other chicks killed the found dead one, there would be blood, wounds. Chicks don't break each others necks.

Only 8 weeks. Their tail feathers started getting nice and big maybe 3 weeks ago give or take. Since then I’ve noticed random feathers all tail area throughout their favorite hang out spots since then. I’ve heard it’s rare but possible the other chicks found her too weak/sick and chose to act upon it? Not sure. Every day looks more and more like I need a roo in my mix.
Very often roosters just duck away from the predator. IMHO, they are no protection for a flock and mostly just a sacrifice if you do have one stand up to a predator. Like aart said, if you do go that route make sure it is a proven cock bird. Otherwise, it's just more drama in an otherwise fine flock... if you don't have breeding intentions.

I can pretty well assure you it wasn't the chicks that did this!

When my dogs kill something, the fur is often very wet from them biting it a bunch. When they shake it like a toy, the neck snaps. :(

And as we speak, something left a dead rat at my side door where none of my animals have access. :confused: Thankful for the rat control help... and somehow last night I forgot to close my door and lock my coop. Think it was trying to tell me don't let my guard down and DON'T be forgetful.

Back
Top Bottom