out of control

addicted2chics

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
My wife and I bought a house about 2 years ago. She wanted a house with a little land, so she coukd have a few animals. So we bought a house and 5 acres. When we moved in we had a dog, a cat and a scarlet macaw. Since we had a bigger house, we a cockatiel, as I love birds. Soon after, we had 4 more cockatiels given to us. My daughter came home with a snake. Then we realized it was an 80 mile round trip to buy feeder mice. So she bought mice so she could raise her own feeder mice. Then my boys got 2 labs, one black and one yellow. I told the kids NO MORE. Thats when my wife started asking for a few chickens. Said she just wanted a few. I figured a few chickens would be nice. So I built her a small chicken coop about 15 by 30 with a 5 x 10 hen house. She purchased 5 chickens from the feed store and a few from a friend. That was mothers day 2013 and thats when the trouble started. I did not know chickens were addicting. Since then, my wife has bought about 10 chickens. 10 plus the origional 5 would make us 15 rite. Well it would have been if I had not got addicted. We now have over 70 chickens, I have expanded the coop and built 3 more. Have a dozen or so free rangers because I am out of coop space. Bought a donkey to protect the free ranger chickens. Told myself no more chickens. I had to do something to do with chickens. So I looked up on here and built my own incubator. Well, what do you do with a new incubator, thats rite, you have to try it out. So I try mine out, not with a couple eggs. 60 eggs is what I started with. They are due on the 30th and have alread had over 20 to hatch. Now, I have no room for my new chics so I have to build yet another couple coops and cages for the7 rabbits I bought at the chicken swap. I just got done building a pen for the goat we bought at the swap. I just cant seem to stop myself, need help.

I keep rescuing . . . And rescuing . . . And rescuing . . .

I rescued a skinny horse .....
A puppy no body wanted......
A dog someone couldn't keep.....
A dog from a crack head.....
A cat from a dumpster. .....

I guess we are in the same boat. .......

4 rabbits, 11 chickens, and 1 cat. But Bunnies will probably come in the spring so we had better say about a dozen or more rabbits, and no doubt chicks will come in spring too, so at least a dozen or two MORE chicks. LOL. Addicted to God's creatures, yep, i would say that.
love.gif
HAHAHA.

I only mentioned the ones I have rescued. .. :)

I also have chickens, another horse, a corn snake, a tank full of guppies and mosquito fish in the horse water tank.

My chicken breeds: barred rocks, delawares, RIR, EE, leghorns, sex links and my favorite Araucanas.

AND 2 INCUBATORS (which I intend to fire up as soon as I get home from my vacation)

Im so glad its not just me. Everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy. I'm sorry but they bring me peace and help my depression. I have 5 dogs , 3 cats and a lovebird in the house. 2 mini horses, a nigerian dwarf goat, 3 outside cats, 2 african geese 4 ducks and 20 chixkens. Then I also work on a farm with chickens, cows, horses, hogs and breeding fila mastiffs. That's my relaxing job. Lol. I draw blood as the bill paying job.

My rescue goat has cured me of ever wanting goats again. She is the most ill behaved creature on my farm. Does not care a lick that we saved her from slaughter, really acts like a spoiled brat, but maybe she is LOL!

Back
Top Bottom