Out of curiosity... weaning chicks...

chickenbritt5908

Songster
Nov 20, 2019
Oklahoma
This year is the first year that our own hens hatched their own eggs. Our first round of chicks are 4 weeks old and I’ve seen them gain more independence from their mamas. But I was wondering how the weaning goes? Do they just eventually not want or need mom and go about their days as the rest of the flock does? As I type this, my common sense says that is probably the case. Haha

Attachments

• 0C897630-F90A-402C-A2B9-DD24D1FE4C78.jpeg
    0C897630-F90A-402C-A2B9-DD24D1FE4C78.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes 😊
As they grow older somewhere between 6 to 8 weeks old the momma will leave them and reintegrate herself to her old flock and won’t treat her chicks as hers anymore and will just be any other chickens in her eyes.

The weaning process I have watched closely over years. It varies with both breed of hen, number of chicks and season. Most of my experience based on games that are in many ways close to natural. Larger broods tend to be cared for longer. Late season broods tend to be cared for longer than early season broods. Weaning involves hen stopping her clucking which makes her invisible to chicks even when she is in plain sight. The chicks will typically be distraught for a couple of days but otherwise move about in same pattern as they did when their mother led them. Then largely ignores the chicks and if in lay will tolerate them until a couple days before she goes broody again, then she will run them off.

The weaning process I have watched closely over years. It varies with both breed of hen, number of chicks and season. Most of my experience based on games that are in many ways close to natural. Larger broods tend to be cared for longer. Late season broods tend to be cared for longer than early season broods. Weaning involves hen stopping her clucking which makes her invisible to chicks even when she is in plain sight. The chicks will typically be distraught for a couple of days but otherwise move about in same pattern as they did when their mother led them. Then largely ignores the chicks and if in lay will tolerate them until a couple days before she goes broody again, then she will run them off.

Wow very informative and interesting!!

Back
Top Bottom