Out of food. Advise??

Chicken-Man

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
your head.... ~(*.*)~
I have suddenly ran out of chick feed for my aprox 6-7week chicks. They just just finished the last of it this morning. I cant get anymore for another 4 hrs or so (:hmm) Can I give them crushed laying pellets just for a few hours to fill them up?? if not what can I do?

NO! Do not give them laying pellets. This will damage their kidneys. Give them oatmeal, cooked eggs, grass or a few mealworms. They'll be fine.

Waiting 4 hours won't kill them. If you really want to give them something then the above suggestion is good.

Last edited:
With all the brands I've looked at at least, the formulas are almost identical, except that layer has much more calcium and starter has a little more protein. So the excess calcium is the only issue, but calcium is not a toxin, it's water soluable mineral and can usually be easily excreted--it shouldn't be an issue unless given in excess over long periods. But that said, I have raised chicks on layer feed for extended periods before when I could not get OG starter/grower on this rock I live on, and though perhaps it was not optimal, they were healthy and it seemed their kidneys were just fine (and if you're wondering how I know, I was actually able to see them when we processed the cockerels). So you can definitely safely feed them crushed/ground layer pellets without fear of death or organ damage for at least a short while. IMHO letting them go hungry or radically and abruptly altering the diet with new things could be as or more disruptive to the systems than feeding layer for a day or two, though none of it is going to cause real harm either way (and grass and bugs never hurt anyone)...

GL!

Last edited:
With all the brands I've looked at at least, the formulas are almost identical, except that layer has much more calcium and starter has a little more protein. So the excess calcium is the only issue, but calcium is not a toxin, it's water soluable mineral and can usually be easily excreted--it shouldn't be an issue unless given in excess over long periods. But that said, I have raised chicks on layer feed for extended periods before when I could not get OG starter/grower on this rock I live on, and though perhaps it was not optimal, they were healthy and it seemed their kidneys were just fine (and if you're wondering how I know, I was actually able to see them when we processed the cockerels). So you can definitely safely feed them crushed/ground layer pellets without fear of death or organ damage for at least a short while. IMHO letting them go hungry or radically and abruptly altering the diet with new things could be as or more disruptive to the systems than feeding layer for a day or two, though none of it is going to cause real harm either way (and grass and bugs never hurt anyone)...

GL!
x2. The higher calcium will not hurt them over such a short period of time. For that matter, just making them wait for 4 hours for food won't kill them either. Though they might try to tell you otherwise.
wink.png
From what I understand, the high calcium in layer feed may cause kidney damage in roosters, chicks, and non-laying hens if fed over an extended period of time. But if you'd rather not risk it, just give them a bit of scrambled or boiled egg to keep them occupied for a few hours until you have their chick crumble.

Back
Top Bottom