Out of ideas need advice ASAP

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
Cracker my red mix hen is 4 never a problem til now. She broke an egg inside and had a prolapsed vent. I gave her calcium and her vent went in. She has never acted right since now she will not eat or drink unless in a syringe. I gave her amoxicillin for 2 days coconut oil vitamin E save a chick egg yolk nothing is perking her up . I am at a loss!! She refuses to eat or drink. Crop feels ok no odor green poop is pasty. Was green and white now solid green .

Attachments

• 20230714_155816_HDR.jpg
    20230714_155816_HDR.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20230714_155807_HDR.jpg
    20230714_155807_HDR.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 6
Poor thing has something seriously wrong with her if she had a prolapse. I am not sure there is anything you can do at this point but keep her comfortable, if that is even possible.

Have you tried to repeat the calcium since to try to get her to lay again in case she has another egg on the water or is having a reproductive issue? Calcium citrate with vitamin d3 600mg for a 5-6 pound hen is good. Do you have some electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench you can offer her? Scrambled egg and a bit of wet feed might be good to offer. Has her prolapse stayed in?

Have you tried to repeat the calcium since to try to get her to lay again in case she has another egg on the water or is having a reproductive issue? Calcium citrate with vitamin d3 600mg for a 5-6 pound hen is good. Do you have some electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench you can offer her? Scrambled egg and a bit of wet feed might be good to offer. Has her prolapse stayed in?
Prolapse has stayed in thank heavens. She will drink from a dropper but will not eat or drink on her own. I tried cat food water but she refused. I tried eggs tuna peas she will not lower her head to try. I will continue the calcium and the drench. Ideas? I can feel her neck bones and keel she is just loosing weight. Nothing seems out of place.

she will not lower her head to try
Can she lower her head to eat/drink or is she standing up all the time?

You gave Amoxicillin for 2 days, you are continuing it correct? Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given twice a day for 10 days.

Hold a cup of water to her beak and see if she can drink on her own.
Wet mushy feed held up to her after she is hydrated, see if she can eat on her own.

You mention she broke an egg inside the vent and prolapsed. Were you able to get the egg out? The pieces or the membrane?

Can she lower her head to eat/drink or is she standing up all the time?

You gave Amoxicillin for 2 days, you are continuing it correct? Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given twice a day for 10 days.

Hold a cup of water to her beak and see if she can drink on her own.
Wet mushy feed held up to her after she is hydrated, see if she can eat on her own.

You mention she broke an egg inside the vent and prolapsed. Were you able to get the egg out? The pieces or the membrane?
She will move her head a little but not to eat or drink she sits or stands mostly sits. I am not sure about all the shell if it is out or not I got some that was hanging on her and pushed her vent in. I am at a loss which way to go with her. I am giving the amoxicillin 500 mg once a day that is what mg I have on hand. Calcium with D and water with save a chick. Poop is brownish now less green but not eating still even egg yolk in a dropper is a battle with her. Nothing in her throat though. Ideas what to do now?

Sounds like she's not doing well.
I think you are doing what you can for her. See if you can entice her to drink and eat, if she's doing neither, then you may need to tube feed her for a few days to see if that gets her moving in the right direction.

Sounds like she's not doing well.
I think you are doing what you can for her. See if you can entice her to drink and eat, if she's doing neither, then you may need to tube feed her for a few days to see if that gets her moving in the right direction.
Never tried to tube feed been using a syringe to the side of her beak so as not to drown her. I got the pills in pretty easy. She is still a diva she will turn in the basket and give me the rear view when she is tired of me fooling with her

Back
Top Bottom