Out of the Brooder Box and Onto the Forum

Naturegirl155

Chirping
Dec 11, 2017
Connecticut
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm fairly new to the world of chickens. I'm an elementary school science teacher who hatched chicks with kindergarten in May 2017. I got 23 eggs...16 made it to incubator lockdown ...15 hatched...and 14 survived to outgrow the brooder box. I'm still not sure if those stats are good or bad!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Of the 14 chickens, I kept 6. Two turned out to be roosters (My first hatched and my last hatched). Until about 2 weeks ago, 2 roos and 4 hens peacefully coexisted. Now I have 1 rooster and 4 hens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm really not sure. They are technically "barnies" I guess. They all had a Silkie dad and moms could be buff orpingtons.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Going through the incubating, hatching, and "What do I do about 2 roosters?" process, BYC was a very helpful source of Googled information.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like gardening and working in the yard mostly. And Sciencing. The journey with the chickens has made me aspire to be like the Jane Goodall of poultry!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and two dogs help me keep an eye on our little flock. My Treeing Walker Coonhound and Pitbull have been around Sven and the Coopers since they hatched and I'm proud of how well they coexist!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You can keep too roosters that were raised together. Many times they become best of buddies. However its best if you have big spaces. The proper roo to hen ratio is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. 2 roos is too many. And the top roo probably wouldn't allow the lower roo to mate, maybe. So you would have to get another harem of hens for the other roo if you have the space for two groups. .

OR, you could keep them together away from the girls, many times they become life long friends .

Good luck with all your poultry projects and welcome to our group! :)

Back
Top Bottom