Out of the brooder, into the coop - one question...

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
Just one question. The coop part of the tractor is 4x4. I have 7 six-week-old chicks. Should I leave them in the coop part for a while before letting them have access to the covered run part of the coop? So they will learn to roost and automatically go back up at night? I had some large branches for them to roost on in the brooder but none of them have ever used it. Possibly not high up enough...

Anyway, how long should I keep them in the coop part before letting them have access to the runs?
34658_3n73k43m3zzzzzzzzz97vd4557964bae31f9c.jpg

No, I bought it from a guy who breeds chickens and builds coops. He lives in Stanwood, Washington.

It's much bigger than it looks in the photo and he sells I believe 4 different sizes. Mine is 4x4 on top and the runs are each 6x4.

They are nicely planned out. (Have cleanout trays, for instance.) He uses the coops for some of his own chickens. So they are functional as well as attractive. He's also a really nice person and easy to work with.

His coops are listed on the Seattle Craig's List.

I just put them in the coop yesterday afternoon. I left them in there til noon today and then opened the door that gives access to the ramp leading down. 5 of them have gone down. Two still have not.

One, the black australorp, has recently just been sitting around not doing much at all most of the time. If she was older, I'd say she'd gone broody but she's only 6 weeks old! She's one of the 2 that has not gone down.

See if they go back in tonight. If not I would punt them in and leave them in 4-5 days then try again. Most of the time I leave ours in for that long before we let them out. Seems to work fine for us. As for the pullet she should be more active. I would pull her out and put her my herself for a few days to watch.

I leave mine in their coop for a week. A couple of days is probably enough. I think the longer the better. Mine now 6 weeks old have been going into their coop to roost at night and all I have to do is go out and shut their pop door. Here is a picture of my roosts. This picture was taken when they were a month old, just before I let them out in the morning.

IMG_1178.jpg

If I had a large coop like that, I would have left them in there longer. I felt bad to leave them cooped up in the small space, plus it would get real hot in there if the temps ever warm back up. It'll be interesting to see if they go back in later when it gets darker.

You chickies are real cute!

Back
Top Bottom