Outdoor shed into chicken coop?

So maybe instead of a shed to turn into a coop.... How about a playhouse?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/KidKraft-Outdoor-Playhouse-00176/203594831/

This particular one is just shy of 5ft (4.93) high by 4ft.
You'd be better off with the shed than that,IMO.
You can use the shed you just have to do some modifying to it.The biggest thing is figuring how to put windows in it and venting it.
It can get hot in the summer if you get cold in the winter you'll have to insulate the ceiling so it doesn't get the frost .

MY cost to date
shed $300
Floor/ foundation- wood $100
Styrofoam insulation $40
Luan interior sides $60 - I had to drill holes in the side on the wall to bolt the luan in place.
Misc. extras $50+

There are MANY cases where the size of the coop includes the nest boxes and the number of birds that will live comfortably is grossly overstated.
I think the materials used are not durable either.
Sorry.

Edited to add:

A sheet of siding is about 35 dollars
2x4 8 foot long is about 3 dollars
Box of screws (5 lb box) 20 dollars
1x3 for trim is about 32 dollars a bundle (I think it is like 18 boards in the bundle)
Plywood for the floor 1/2 sheet for 25 dollars I think I saw at Home Depot.

If you draw it out on graph paper you may find that you can make a 4x4 coop with only 2 pieces of siding and about 10 or so 2x4 boards and one box of screws.
That comes to under well under 200 dollars even after hardware for a clean out door, windows and a roof and a floor.

Last edited:
I added a interior wall to an existing shed. Removed the top of one wall for a leftover sliding glass door sideways for a window and screened ventalation. I added a double door with a chicken door to the other wall. This makes for easy clean out. My nest box is an old cabinet. Overall the cost was very reasonable. Look into the posts on poop boards. They really help keep the floor clean.

Back
Top Bottom