Outdoors

ttadlock

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
I was reading through some threads on here, and I saw people talking about taking their chicks outside, and I wanted to know when a good time to take the chicks outside a little at a time would be. They're 3 1/2 weeks old. And I have a fence structure that has small enough holes that they can't get out of it, and it's high enough that they can't fly over it. But my chicks are starting to fly from one side of the brooder to the other with little to no problem. Other threads were saying they need to go outside to stretch their wings and learn to fly better. But I wanted to know anyone else's opinion on when I should start taking them outside.

Chicks with their mother would naturally be outside from day one, so you can take them out for a little exercise at any age, as long as you warm them up after a few minutes.

They can stay out for longer and longer periods, at least on warm days, as they grow in their feathers.

Best of luck!
smile.png

Chicks with their mother would naturally be outside from day one, so you can take them out for a little exercise at any age, as long as you warm them up after a few minutes.

They can stay out for longer and longer periods, at least on warm days, as they grow in their feathers.

Best of luck! :)

I mean I don't know anything about here they came from. Only that I bought them from Rural King ...

I started taking mine outside at around 3 weeks of age. I'd bring them into the backyard in the sun for about half an hour at a time. I live in Ontario and this was at least a month ago so for short little visits like that, they should be fine. They can go outside into their official coop when they're fully feathered - about 5 weeks old.

I started taking mine outside at around 3 weeks of age. I'd bring them into the backyard in the sun for about half an hour at a time. I live in Ontario and this was at least a month ago so for short little visits like that, they should be fine. They can go outside into their official coop when they're fully feathered - about 5 weeks old.

The girl that sold them to us said they couldn't go into the coop until they were 16 weeks?

Taking them outside for a few minutes or a few hours during the day is different then putting them in the coop over the chillier nights. I would wait until they were fully feathered (no more down fluff) to do that.

Taking them outside for a few minutes or a few hours during the day is different then putting them in the coop over the chillier nights. I would wait until they were fully feathered (no more down fluff) to do that.

So it would be a good idea to wait the 16 weeks like the girl who sold them told me? I have Light Brahma's and she told me that they age slower. But by the looks of it, they're getting big fast. I've had them almost 2 weeks and they've already doubled in size.

I've had my birds around a week and a half and I think they tripled in size!
tongue.png

Feathering out depends on genetics, the weather, the food they get, and perhaps other things. Because of this, there is no exact date. When they look ready, you can try moving them out. My chicks are usually fully feathered around a month of age.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom