outside coopfloor?

fire sale chick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 13, 2014
I am building my coop, it is 5" X 10 ". I have 6 chicks and I was wondering what to use as the flooring of the outside of the coop. I have seen pebbles as a base and sand on top. Is this OK?

Honestly, I wouldn't spend money on pebbles. They will just sink into the dirt.

I think most people just use the grass that is there, until the chickens kill it. Then sand is working well for many people, if it isn't getting a lot of direct sunlight on it in summer, because it can get too hot. You may want a barrier around the outside to keep the sand in. There is actually nothing wrong with dirt, it just isn't easy to clean.

My run is a mix of everything. Dried leaves some compost. Deep liter. Wood chips mixed w sand. Grass clippings. You name it. They dig thru everything and break it down. It's a good twelve inches of a mix of everything I've tried. They love it.

I am building my coop, it is 5" X 10 ".  I have 6 chicks and I was wondering what to use as the flooring of the outside of the coop.  I have seen pebbles as a base and sand on top.  Is this OK?
I have a 10x10 dog kennel with a roof and love the sand, I put 2x6's as a boarder and landscape fabric down with welded wire on top of that to keep anything from digging in, very easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and they love dusting in the sand, the landscape fabric keeps the ground from eating up the sand and allows any water to drain quickly.

My run is a mix of everything. Dried leaves some compost. Deep liter. Wood chips mixed w sand. Grass clippings. You name it. They dig thru everything and break it down. It's a good twelve inches of a mix of everything I've tried. They love it.

Haha, I love this idea, and would probably do the same if I had a small run! Certainly gives them something to do. I understand that cleaning sand is pretty simple, kinda like kitty litter -- but you shouldn't have to do much cleaning with a mix like that.

Back
Top Bottom