over feeding

There are a lot of other chicken feeds; Starter, Grower, Finisher, Developer, Flock Raiser, Combined Starter/Grower and some things called something else. The significant difference in these is the percent protein. Basically any of these can be fed to any chicken of any age. If they are laying just offer oyster shell on the side for those that need the extra calcium for egg production. Just like the names for these can vary depending in who makes it the percent protein can vary a bit. Starter is usually around 20% to 24%, Grower maybe 16%, Finisher and Developer maybe 15%, Layer 16% to 18%, and Flock Raiser or the combined Starter/Grower maybe 20%.

The reason there are so many different percent proteins in these feeds is that they are best for specific times in their life. A general progression in chicks that will be a laying flock is to start them off with a fairly high percent protein to get them off to a good start in life, then after 4 to 8 weeks cut the percent protein back as they mature. It’s not that the higher protein level hurts them, just that they don’t need it. They need to grow but their body also needs to mature. Last time I checked there was a $2 difference in the price of a bag of Starter/Grower and Grower/Developer.

When raising dual purpose breeds for meat you are not worried about them growing too fast so there is no need to give them extra time to mature. You normally feed them a higher percent protein to get them to butcher size faster. The faster they reach butcher age the more tender the meat.

A lot of people feed the 20% Flock Raiser to a pure laying flock with oyster shell on the side. This does not hurt the chickens and is just personal preference. The basic purpose of the Flock Raiser is for a flock where some are going to be layers and some are going to be for meat. It’s a compromise.

I’m doing a lot like you are talking about except I eat a lot of my pullets too. Not all pullets become members of my laying/breeding flock. Mine forage for some of their feed so I’m not as concerned about getting them to butcher weight as fast plus I like the extra flavor in an older bird. We’ve all got different conditions and different goals. I generally start them off with a 20% Starter/Grower. Whenever that bag runs out after 4 weeks, I switch to a 15% Developer. I often have mixed age chicks in my flock so I seldom feed Layer. I just stay with the 15% Developer and offer oyster shell on the side. Since mine forage for some of their food I don’t have precise control over everything they eat anyway. The quality of forage is good enough that they manage well.

This is some really good info, thanks! I think I understand but want to make sure. So I have a mature flock numbering 20-something dual purpose birds (hens and roos). They eat Purina Layena feed and free range. I just got 4 baby pullets and they eat Purina Start & Grow. The folks at the feed store said to feed them Start & Grow until they start laying so I was worried about how to keep them from eating the Layer feed when I put them outside with the flock in two months. If I follow you right, I can take away the Layer feed when I put the pullets outside and put everybody on something like Grower or Developer, plus offer shells on the side. Do I have that right?

This is some really good info, thanks!  I think I understand but want to make sure.  So I have a mature flock numbering 20-something dual purpose birds (hens and roos).  They eat Purina Layena feed and free range.  I just got 4 baby pullets and they eat Purina Start & Grow.  The folks at the feed store said to feed them Start & Grow until they start laying so I was worried about how to keep them from eating the Layer feed when I put them outside with the flock in two months.  If I follow you right, I can take away the Layer feed when I put the pullets outside and put everybody on something like Grower or Developer, plus offer shells on the side.  Do I have that right?

You have it exactly right. Grower, developer, flock raiser, basically anything except Layer as long as you provide oyster shell or some other calcium supplement on the side.

I gave my new chicks RI reds 10 days old, in feeding trough Chick Starter Feed, they have all they can eat. I also raise crickets, worms and BSF for reptile feed/ fish bait. I put chicks in the bin with baby crickets and they had a feast. Is it to early for them to eat live insects? crickets high protein and calcium. Thought it wouldn't hurt, will It??? they also like red wiggler worms. BSF I know is great when older.

Well hopefully someone else will chime in but I know snacks should only make up ten percent of there diet. I'm not sure if there enough vitamins and minerals in that. Seems like it should be ok but I'm really not the one to ask. I just stuck with chick starter until they got older. Someone with more experience should hopefully come along. You could do a search on here and you may find an answer.

Back
Top Bottom