Over-Ripe Yellow Squash - Safe to feed?

EvanAlexJames

Chirping
Sep 29, 2022
hello, all.

I have been gone a while, but I’m back on the forums to ask a question.
Earlier this year, my grandfather got the whole garden planted, but then he threw his back out around the time the squash bloomed. We didn’t expect anything to be out there, so we never checked it.

last weekend, I went out there and found some GIANT yellow squash that was far over-ripened. Would it be okay to feed this to my chickens? Did I need to do anything special to do so?

Attachments

• BB0ABE1E-81FA-4D8A-969F-82F2B197E258.jpeg
    BB0ABE1E-81FA-4D8A-969F-82F2B197E258.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 121
hello, all.

I have been gone a while, but I’m back on the forums to ask a question.
Earlier this year, my grandfather got the whole garden planted, but then he threw his back out around the time the squash bloomed. We didn’t expect anything to be out there, so we never checked it.

last weekend, I went out there and found some GIANT yellow squash that was far over-ripened. Would it be okay to feed this to my chickens? Did I need to do anything special to do so?
Yes, it should be safe to feed those squash to the chickens.

It should be about the same as feeding pumpkin to chickens, and lots of people do that around Halloween time.

People can eat over ripe Squash too, tasty.
Does it even make sense to call it over ripe?

It is past where summer squash usually get harvested, but certainly not past the point that winter squash get harvested. Summer and winter squash are often the same species anyway, just harvested at different points.

Yes, I would be inclined to try cooking some of them for people too :)

Back
Top Bottom