Over the fence chicken custodian

Exciting news! This morning I was checking on the girls to see if they had been let out of their coop yet before I left for my work. They had been put in by 4:30 yesterday without the water bowl and I was planning on calling them to ask to let them out and remind them they hadn't had their water accessible By 9:30 it would have been 17 hrs. They often are kept in the coop with or without water/ food until early afternoon. Anyhoo, the owner was out and came over to me as I hung over the fence and said, "You want my birds, take 'em!" He went on to say he loved his birds but was tired of them. Or maybe me, or is accepting he truly doesn't have time and the employees who have been mostly doing the work also don't want to deal with them. Not exactly sure, hard to understand him sometimes. So I'm hoping to rescue them and bring them over the fence to my big buggy yard today! One issue, I have no coop, hay, food for them. I do have a roll of chicken wire from a failed attempt at a garden deer-proofing effort, So I can use it in some capacity. He offered me to buy his coop for $100. Not bad, except I'm on such a limited income (shoulder injury/disability/very thin paycheck) that the couple hundred it will take to get them started is a budget-breaker. So I've put out the call to a couple chicken friends, hoping to find an abandoned coop. I could also just bring them to a rescue farm as well. But then they'll have the added expense too. However way it works out I want to get them today before he has time to change his mind. I'm super happy to have the opportunity to help these girls have more normal lives.

The neighbor said he still has another chicken. I saw it a couple times but he keeps this one away from the other 3 in his garage. Weird. He doesn't want to give that one up. He said to me he doesn't want me bothering him about the one chicken in his garage. I said to him it needs to go outside too. He shaked his head... I didn't push it. I'll get these 3 and see about the other one lonely by itself in the garage later.

Anyone know where I might find a coop/leftover hay or feed etc. I'd sure appreciate the heads up. I'm in Santa Rosa, CA and depending on where it is could pick it up.

Sorry, being in Aus, no way I can help with the coop but I was thinking, rather than just keeping an eye out for you for a coop, any chance your chicken friends could pay a visit and help you put something together in the interim? It is amazing what you can do with some off cuts of timber, some pallets and some wire.

Once again, kudos to you for caring and best wishes to you and the girls; they are so lucky to have you!

When you can, any chance you can share some pictures? I would love to see them.

I would go back over to your other neighbor with the other chickens and see if he can give you some feed or hay to start out with. Look for some free pallets or even put add in paper you need scrap wood and pallets. You may have to pick up or they may deliver for you. Build something quick and easy till you have what you need to build them a permanent chicken coop and run. Ask your neighbors if they have any scrap lumber they want to get rid of. You maybe surprise what is in your own neighbor hood that people have and want to get rid of. I would love to see pictures of the chickens also once you get them in your yard. I would also have them sign something in writing saying that they gave them to you. This way the son can not come back and take them way from you. Or he changes his mind and wants them back.

I'm going to ask around the neighbors when I get home. I did say to the neighbor that I'd need him to write it out that he's surrendering them to me. He at first said he wouldn't do anything shifty. I said given our history, I'd need it to be sure no one thought I had stolen them. He said he'd sign a note if I wrote it.

I'll post images soon as I figure out how! Hold on. I have video too.

Last edited:
I'm going to ask around the neighbors when I get home. I did say to the neighbor that I'd need hime to right it out that he's surrendering them to me. He at first said he wouldn't do anything shifty. I said given our history, I'd need it to be sure no one thought I had stolen them. He said he'd sign a note if I wrote it.

I'll post images soon as I figure out how! Hold on. I have video too.

Great comeback on the stolen part because I think he may of done something shifty later on if you didn't have documents or note of some kind since he has no love for these chickens it seems.

The girls are in my yard! A few days ago the owner said I could take them. I'm looking for a donated or inexpensive coop <$100. Right now they're sleeping a large dog crate in my garage. It's small but its clean. Check out some video on my facebook page: facebook.com/jcatnewman

Congratulations! You could take a look at craigslist and see if anyone is trying to get rid of something coop like and many places give away pallets for free which could be a great souce of wood for constructing something semi-permanent. Best Wishes!

Update:

Good News! The bantam chick that was left behind at the neighbors has been surrendered to the animal control officer. He came to look at my girls at my request so I could show him what injuries and issues will likely happen with the remaining chicken due to neglect. He went over and looked at the bantam rooster and its owner said to take him. Yay!

Now I'm treating all three of the rescues I have for serious bumblefoot. I know it happens in even the best situations, but their bumble has progressed to gigantic black spots and I treated the girl with the worst case, Dosie, a couple days ago. I think it traumatized me worse then her... She seems to be doing ok. The other two will be treated, once Dosie is recovered, one at a time, so I can manage the post-procedure care properly. Their feet aren't all swelled up yet.

That's great news!
woot.gif

And good luck with the bumble foot! It can be a bear to treat!

Back
Top Bottom