Overbite?

Tiredchick

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
I had these chicks shipped in. Is this an overbite? Will it correct ?

Attachments

• 201B44FD-8C86-4D95-988D-D1E4D4F0E879.jpeg
    201B44FD-8C86-4D95-988D-D1E4D4F0E879.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 16
The upper beak looks a bit long, you can carefully file it back, being careful not to take too much, you don't want to hit the quick. Or alternately you an provide some large rocks or concrete blocks in the run, and let them hone them naturally. Some birds may need periodic trims, it can be a genetic thing, but many can maintain them fine themselves if they have access to the right things. If they can eat and drink normally, then I'd give them a chance to take care of it themselves first.

The upper beak looks a bit long, you can carefully file it back, being careful not to take too much, you don't want to hit the quick. Or alternately you an provide some large rocks or concrete blocks in the run, and let them hone them naturally. Some birds may need periodic trims, it can be a genetic thing, but many can maintain them fine themselves if they have access to the right things. If they can eat and drink normally, then I'd give them a chance to take care of it themselves first.
Since these are “day olds” that were shipped from a breeder to me would you say genetic?

They are too young to know if it's genetic or just 'normal' overgrowth due to the environment. Time will tell on that one. I've honestly never had to trim a beak unless there was an injury, my birds have plenty of opportunity to hone themselves. But I do know that some breeds can be more prone than others.

Back
Top Bottom