overcoming potential trauma-related non-laying of eggs?

amiachicknorwat

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Yes, I'd like someone to write on this topic. My neighbour's dog killed 15 of our chickens. We received 6 pullets in exchange -- no biggie. That's all they had or could offer. Before this incident the weather had turned colder and egg laying had already dipped, became sporadic. After the massacre egglaying fully stopped. Not even the newbies being integrated caused an egg to lay. Not till weeks later. A week or so ago we found one egg out in the garden they got out in to briefly, maybe for 3hrs. Then again the day before yesterday my partner let the chickens out into the garden again. One green egg (Auricana) yesterday, then another today. They already got a more than ample chicken run. So I didn't let them out into the garden today, but found that one egg in nesting box in our coop. In the last few weeks we've really poured on the pampering of the flock -- deepening and diversifying their coop litter, AVCing their water and became more consistent with delivery, upped their feed quality to a higher protein and better smelling pellet that's still non-GMO. I've also moved the heat lamp so it doesn't shine into the nesting boxes. Plus I'm periodically feeding them from a flax ferment I recently made. it's been almost a year since i've made them a pickling jar's worth of fermented seed or grain. Not long ago we used to get about 20 eggs a day. Now we're down from about 40 chickens and like 7 roosters to 29 total and 2 roosters. Yeah, i think we're all (hens and humans) sleeping better but still not laying up snuff. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Happy Overwintering, Nick

Yes, a predator attack can cause stress, stress can reduce production.
How long ago did this happen?
Loss of flock members triggers a change in the pecking order, more stress.
Integrating new birds also causes stress, for both existing flock and the new birds.
If any of your birds are over a year they may be molting or getting ready to,
even pullets(first year layers) can slow down production with the shortening of the daylight hours.

Not sure why you have a heat lamp, but don't know your location because it's not in your profile; they are most usually unnecessary, can pose a serious danger of fire, and can interrupt natural light rhythms.

AVCing their water and became more consistent with delivery,
With delivery of water?
Not sure ACV is going to do much, can be detrimental if constant and long term.

Yes, a predator attack can cause stress, stress can reduce production.
How long ago did this happen? ...

Not sure why you have a heat lamp, but don't know your location because it's not in your profile; they are most usually unnecessary, can pose a serious danger of fire, and can interrupt natural light rhythms.

With delivery of water?
Not sure ACV is going to do much, can be detrimental if constant and long term.
High Aart, Maybe a month and half ago. I heard ACV was good for chickens. I thought the acetic acid and microbes from its ferment both good. But would it atrophy the chickens own hydrochloric acid production, if there's anything to that?...may not be for the birds ;-). We're also thinking of replacing the LED string and heat lamps with incandescent lights as they are high in range of red and low in blue, which is the culprit disrupting circadian rhythms, or so i hear. Much Thanks, Nick

I have had a similar experience and also need help. About a year ago I had a raccoon attack my flock. At the time I had 17 chickens. Two were lost in the attack on one night. Prior to the attack I was getting 12 plus eggs a day. After the attack they quite laying altogether. Eventually they slowly started laying. Now they average 4-5 eggs per day. They have food water and light. I caught the raccoon and gave it to animal services. I also improved the coop so that I can lock them in when they come in to roost. They have had several months to acclimate to these changes but still no improvement in egg production. Any ideas or experience would be wonderful. At this point I’m ready to just start a new flock.

Welcome! Stress (near death experiences) can certainly slow or stop egg laying, for weeks at least. aart has good advice, as always.
LED lights need to be in the warm range at least, and sixteen hours per day, starting in the early morning hours on a timer, for winter egg production.
The best feed, IMO, is an all-flock feed, always fresh mill date, with oyster shell on the side.
Many hens, especially sex-links and production types, will produce many eggs their first year, and many fewer each following cycle, after molting. If there are other issues, like lice or mites, that impacts egg production too. Some hens might be developing health issues and slow or stop producing eggs.
With spring coming, your birds may do better. Especially if you start mentioning that crock pot!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom