Overheated Chicks - Is this normal recovery or was I too late?

Jun 7, 2022
Just brought home 5 more few day old babies today. My brooder box is in my outdoor coop. Even though it’s hot outside, I thought they still needed the heat lamp because I figured the light in combination with the outdoor heat would put the brooder temp at the recommended 95f… I don’t know why I made the stupid decision to use the light, but after I came to bring them their water after just 10 minutes of the light being on, they all looked incredibly overheated - laying down, panting, it was so scary.

I rushed to get them inside with AC and tried to give them all drops of water with Poultry Cell from my finger. After they started to act cold I put the light back on them, but they are still inside so no risk of overheating. 3 of them perked up, but I’m very worried about my Cochin and Polish who seemed to get the hottest. The others are up and moving now but those two are pretty lethargic. They’re not unresponsive, but I’m worried I accidentally aspirated them from the water or it’s too late and their bodies are shutting down from overheating 😭 Part of me wonders if it’s normal because they had a stressful day and are now just resting and recovering.

I know this is hard to answer because there’s no definite way of knowing. Just needed to talk to chicken people. 😓Going to watch them this evening.
Is there anything else I can do?

I did a quick search in Poultry Cell. I don't think that is what you need to be using. I may be looking at the wrong form of it.

What you want is something that gives them quick energy. You can get stuff at the feed store or order it from a hatchery but some people just dissolve sugar in water. I use hummingbird liquid. I put a drop on the tip of their beak so they can swallow it without drowning. The liquid helps hydrate them and the sugar gives them energy so they feel like eating and drinking on their own.

I did a quick search in Poultry Cell. I don't think that is what you need to be using. I may be looking at the wrong form of it.

What you want is something that gives them quick energy. You can get stuff at the feed store or order it from a hatchery but some people just dissolve sugar in water. I use hummingbird liquid. I put a drop on the tip of their beak so they can swallow it without drowning. The liquid helps hydrate them and the sugar gives them energy so they feel like eating and drinking on their own.
Thank you. I’ll put Nutri Drench in their water - it has vitamins and molasses.
I put them next to the water container and they both started drinking on their own, so that makes me feel a bit better - one of them is even up scratching. I’m sure they could use an energy boost too though.

Chicks are so fragile. 😩 Haven’t had the best luck in the past with babies and don’t want to lose more if I can help it!

I posted that last quick as you may need it. Don't beat yourself up too much about what happened. You are doing the best you can and trying to follow what people on here say to do. That's not always easy and the information you get on here is often incomplete or even wrong.

Some people might recommend 95 F, some 100 F, some 90 F. That is not for the entire brooder, that's just one area in the brooder. They also need an area in there that is cool enough. As long as they can get to a cooler spot any of those can work. That way they can go where they are comfortable. The way I do that is to have a large brooder with really good ventilation so I can just heat one part of it.

I don't know how hot your weather is. It's possible they don't need any heat. I've brooded outside without supplemental heat. At first I only heated during the night but soon I turned that off. They did not need it.

It is very encouraging that they are drinking on their own. I'm really glad to hear that. And yes, a good time for nutri drench.

I have four new 3 week old chicks: an Easter Egger, a Saphire Gem, and 2 Silver Laced
Wayandottes. They are starting to get feathers on their bodies. During the day
I put them outside in a 5' X 4" secured pen with a 5' X 9' covered run. Our day
time temps here in SW Utah is in the mid-90's. They don't seem to have any problems
with the heat. I put a cookie pan in the run filled with water for them to walk in. I have
been picking them up and placing them in the water. The Easter Egger likes the water,
the others not so much.

In the evening I bring them inside and use a Brinsea EcoGlow to keep them warm. In
the morning, out they go. So far, so good.

I also have three 2 year old Easter Eggers in a different coop. I look forward to the
challenge of getting the 4 new ones integrated with the older girls. I have a plan.

Last edited:
I'm glad your chicks are doing better.
I'd do away with the heat lamp all together, and use a brooder plate, or for a cheaper method, a mama heating pad.
It's been pretty hot here. I have some week to two week old bantams, and they are not using any supplemental heat.
Most conventional advice on brooder temperatures, leads people to overheat chicks.
I have a lot of broody hens. They don't sit with chicks under them 24/7. The chicks are out in all kinds of weather and fluctuating temperatures.
Good luck with your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom