Overindulging on wood chips

ckeene1990

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2024
I have 7 chicks that are just about 2 weeks old. I had them in woodchips but I noticed they were eating them so I moved them to paper towels. I have tried going back to wood chips multiple times but they go crazy pecking and eating the wood chips. They know their food and eat well from it, but as soon as there are wood chips they don’t stop. I’m not sure what to do

I’m using large flake from tractor supply. Unfortunately there is still some fine pieces in there
Are you seeing that they are actually consuming them? Or just messing around? It is unusual for chicks over a week to eat the bedding. They do often scratch through the bedding looking for spilt feed, and sometimes start to dust bathe in them. If they absolutely won't stop you could try straw for bedding.

Wood chips or shavings? Because chips should be way too large for even adult chickens to eat, but they can safely pick at tiny pieces without issue as long as they don't gorge on it.

If shavings, there's definitely larger flake shavings (the Aspen shavings from Petco is what I get) and those are my preference around chicks. Not sure how the size compares to what you're currently using.

If you haven't already made grit available to them you should definitely start providing it, to help them digest any particles they do eat.

Are you seeing that they are actually consuming them? Or just messing around? It is unusual for chicks over a week to eat the bedding. They do often scratch through the bedding looking for spilt feed, and sometimes start to dust bathe in them. If they absolutely won't stop you could try straw for bedding.
I watch close to see and I think they are eating it, I see the pieces disappear and it looks like they are consuming it.

Wood chips or shavings? Because chips should be way too large for even adult chickens to eat, but they can safely pick at tiny pieces without issue as long as they don't gorge on it.

If shavings, there's definitely larger flake shavings (the Aspen shavings from Petco is what I get) and those are my preference around chicks. Not sure how the size compares to what you're currently using.

If you haven't already made grit available to them you should definitely start providing it, to help them digest any particles they do eat.
It’s shavings, they do seem to gorge on them. I have them time to see if they would stop, but they just wouldn’t

Back
Top Bottom