Overly Aggressive Rooster

Bell124

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
What is the best way to deal with an overly aggressive rooster? He attacks anyone who goes near him or his hens. We've locked him up in the coop, but I have new chicks that are ready to be moved into the coop and I'm worried about them. Should I just cull him? Cause he's been aggressive for a while now, I don't think I can teach him better...

Any help is appreciated

Chicken Dumplins.
droolin.gif

If you don't like dealing with Mr Onery, EAT HIM! That is the BEST way.

Ive also got a rooster that recently decided to be a jerk. He's got to go. Im psyching myself up to send him to "freezer camp". I figure if I'm going to have chickens I have to learn to deal with not just their lives but manage the culls myself. Not looking forward to this, but having an aggressive rooster in the yard is totally ruining my time spent with the birds.

Ive also got a rooster that recently decided to be a jerk. He's got to go. Im psyching myself up to send him to "freezer camp". I figure if I'm going to have chickens I have to learn to deal with not just their lives but manage the culls myself. Not looking forward to this, but having an aggressive rooster in the yard is totally ruining my time spent with the birds.
welcome-byc.gif

Butchering a rooster is hard to work up to sometimes, but you'll be amazed how much happier and more relaxed you'll be once he's gone.

I agree with Chick Charm. My experience with a mean rooster is that he just gets meaner. They can be dangerous to you, and especially to small children. I wouldn't think twice about culling him. Hopefully, one of the new chicks will give you another roo.

I just had to go through this. I got a beautiful Silver Laced roo from the neighbor. He was so darned mean though. It was kinda funny at first cause I wore my insulated carharts doing chores through the winter. Watching 6 pounds of roo go afer my 220 pound, 6'2" tall hubby was kinda funny too. We even named him Kato from the guy in the Pink Panther that liked to sneak up and try and the the drop on the inspector guy. Wearing just jeans as it warmed up, those wing joints of his HURT when he got me. I chased his feathered butt all over the run till I pinned him in a corner, snatched him up and gave him a good shake by a wing and his legs. I held him upside down till he was still then turned him loose. He left me alone for a good long while after that, and I was the only one able to go in the run as long as I never turned my back to him. It all changed when I let them free range. He'd come running up behind me,I'd whip around and he screetch to a halt and start pecking the ground like he wasn't in mid attack. He finally got me good though. He didn't stop and ended up bruising my all up and down my shins. He went after the hubby, the dogs, my lab mix lost over and over to him. Yesterday I realized I just bought 8 pullets and one is a little bitty roo, I have one Jersey Giant hen sitting on eggs by him, so I don't need a roo right now. He got processed along with the neighbors 3 meat birds. I have a grand baby he really could have hurt if she had been around to visit. I got tired of always having to watch over my shoulder when I wanted to go out and enjoy the other animals. There are free roos all over craigslist this time of year. It's just no worth it to have to deal with a mean one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom