Owl!!!!

Quote:
BARRED OWL. NO threat whatsoever. That is actually a good look at an owl. No ears (so NOT GHO), no black chin (so NOT GGO), you can see the barring underneath the head and the heavily streaked paler under parts plus head and tail size relative to the body -- is an easy I.D. - Barred Owls have NEVER been a problem for my outside roosting birds (and I had them overhead the roosts with a bantam outside). Barred Owls eat small mammals (mice, voles, shrews), frogs, snakes, fish, large insects, small birds (sparrows, finches), crabs, crayfish -- most chickens are way too big for them -- they'd take a Nankin or a Serama or small Bantam hen perhaps if outside in a tree at night but I have not heard of it (they don't go in barns at night or through holes to get a chicken like a GHO will)-- Barred Owls are not out hunting chicken.

Probably in support of statement above, barred owls have only demonstrated themselves a threat only to my juvenile American games that were at most 1.5 pounds, which is smaller than typical bantams. Based on evidence from remains, the barred owl had difficulty processing even such a small chicken as they could not fly far with it. They do appear to have a knack for getting adult sized (5 to 6.5 lb) dominque and dominique cross chickens to get off roost. I could see activity in full moonlight over a series of nights. It appeared to be an act of aggression against rather than effort to prey upon the much larger chickens.

My owl is definitely a Great Horned Owl. I have seen him/her around and I hear they calling often. I try to get the guineas in side every night but now when it gets dark so early I am not home in time to get them in. Sometimes it is even hard to get them in before dark! They really like to sleep in the tree and I am thinking about cutting the dam^ thing down!

I dont think that you can legally shoot birds of prey...not totally sure but I know that my neighbor did get in trouble for trapping one on a pole! All I can say is I am glad I hatched all those guineas this past summer! T

We live in the middle of a wooded area - and there is a large owl that lives near our house. I was just out on the porch and heard his call. A mixture of cool and spooky!
lol.png
I was talking to a friend of mine whose daughter works for a veterinarian, and she said that they often have small dogs brought in after being injured by an owl or a hawk or other bird of prey.

CarolJ:
We live in the middle of a wooded area - and there is a large owl that lives near our house. I was just out on the porch and heard his call. A mixture of cool and spooky! I was talking to a friend of mine whose daughter works for a veterinarian, and she said that they often have small dogs brought in after being injured by an owl or a hawk or other bird of prey.

Yes, a GHO will take full grown opossums, commonly & routinely eat skunks, will chase Eagles off their nest & take puppies and cats. A Barred Owl is not a threat to any of those. It eats small things.

chickenfarmer1997: shoot it

Why would you shoot something I have just told you is not a threat to your chickens? I had a pair of Barred Owls that hung out in the tree over my run every night (and nested nearby) & my chickens roosted on a post with a rain shield over it right out in the open every night (here below are juveniles -- they roosted out on that thing you see -- didn't loose a one -- these are six weeks old), The Barred Owls NEVER bothered my birds. The Barred Owls living around me now do not bother my birds, and I have 34 Guineas in the trees every night. Why shoot it? At least educate yourself about nature, owls, hawks and the wild animals living amongst us, please, before giving advice that is illegal. KNOW what you are talking about, please.

IM001007.jpg

I am not debating anything... BUT... Let me tell you if that was looking back at me my chickens would be the least of my worries I think I would soil my pants first then run into the house ... thats a great pic but man is it freaky looking...

I am six years late to this party. It is a barred owl. I had one perched about 15 feet up a tree about 25' behind my coop and pen yesterday. All my free-range chickens were huddling inside the pen area squawking up a storm. But, the owl was probably there for the squirrels and any other small rodents as he did not seem to be too interested in the chooks.

Back
Top Bottom