Owls

I've heard three different species of owls around my place. The largest critter I've seen a barred owl nab (during the early evening) was a squirrel. Fast and swift, the owl dove down, snatched it prey, and flew off. Squirrel didn't even know what happened. Took my brain a moment to realize what my eyes had just seen.

That brings back memories! Who, who. Who cooks for you?

Owls don't usually bother grown chickens but might go after them if other food is not available. Definitely cover your run with wire to prevent any type of predators from flying or climbing in. I have plenty of hawks and owls around my place but it's the ground varmits that cause the most problems for me. They'll dig, chew, claw their way in if at all possible.
Cool, so far no ground predators
smile.png
, my chicks are from 7 to 10 weeks old.

Have you ever had a problem with an owl getting one of your chickens? We have Barred Owls here (who cooks for you?) and the chickens go to bed before the owls come out.

The spring they had babies here (adorable!) we did see them out in the early evening and late morning, but they were after toads and mice, not chickens.

What kind of owls do you have? I suppose a great horned owl would be big enough, but in general I'd think a full grown chicken would be too big for the average owl to bother with.

-Wendy
So far none, just wasn't sure, we have several, well Iv'e seen several different species of owls around here, the largest was around I'd say 18" or taller, probably closer to 2 foot. The night that I put the chicks out for the first time, it's almost as if they were watching late that evening just about dusk, :(

I'm trying to understand-- You have a coop that the chickens go into at dusk for roosting, right? Do they get in via a small 'pop' door just for chickens, or another way?

If it's just the pop door, the owls are very unlikely (not impossible, but very unlikely) to try and get in to mess with your birds, and they should be okay until you can get home and close the door.
If it's a large door, say a people-sized door, you might have a bigger risk of a bold owl flying in for a meal.

As far as I know, red lights will not deter owls.

Really, I would be more afraid of other predators coming into your coop if the door is left open. An owl might take a single bird, but a raccoon, possum, fox (etc) could wipe out a lot of birds in one night!! Even though you haven't seen them yet, I can tell you with certainty, that it is only a matter of time.

Have you considered an auto-door on a timer? They can be a bit spendy (around $100 or more depending on what you need) but I can tell you that mine has saved me more than $100 in lost birds/peace of mind for when I am not home to close the coop up.

Good luck, either way! :)

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand-- You have a coop that the chickens go into at dusk for roosting, right? Do they get in via a small 'pop' door just for chickens, or another way?

If it's just the pop door, the owls are very unlikely (not impossible, but very unlikely) to try and get in to mess with your birds, and they should be okay until you can get home and close the door.
If it's a large door, say a people-sized door, you might have a bigger risk of a bold owl flying in for a meal.

As far as I know, red lights will not deter owls.

Really, I would be more afraid of other predators coming into your coop if the door is left open. An owl might take a single bird, but a raccoon, possum, fox (etc) could wipe out a lot of birds in one night!! Even though you haven't seen them yet, I can tell you with certainty, that it is only a matter of time.

Have you considered an auto-door on a timer? They can be a bit spendy (around $100 or more depending on what you need) but I can tell you that mine has saved me more than $100 in lost birds/peace of mind for when I am not home to close the coop up.

Good luck, either way! :)
Its a prop up door, it's a small door, big enough for a full grown chicken to get in and out of. My main concern is them swooping in at the chicks before they head in. They have a tendency to stay out a bit darker than I'd like. I have thought about an auto door. Thanks

Try adding a small nightlight to interior of roost. This made speed progression to roost. Also consider increasing ventilation to cool roost if it is getting hot.

My juveniles are also prone to forage late into times overlapping with owl activity. More rapid feeding away from roost if free-range may reduce time required to actually go to roost.

I am noticing a pattern in owl visits. Great-horned owls visiting when waxing near full and barred at other times. Great-horned owls are making tree roosting birds bail from tree and systematically make all bail during course of night, usually within less than an hour. Dog prevents losses.

Back
Top Bottom