Oyster Shell for New Layer - OK to put out with less grrown Chicks?

valentinebaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sherman-Denison, TX
I have 4 NHR's (16+ weeks), 4 BO's (15+ weeks) and 3 EE's (16+ weeks). Two of my 2 NHR's that are a tad over 16 weeks old are both doing the "I'm getting ready to lay" act: all the sudden their combs and wattles turned bright red, they "assume the position" when I try to reach for them, and they are talking up a storm. Since these are all signs they are ready to start laying, I want to put out oyster shell for their calcium needs. Question is: will my other chicks who are not as developed be hurt by this or do chickens who need it seem to know to eat it and the others won't? Please advise - thanks so much!

I have read that it's OK to do this but have never tried it.

Your older ones will probably be fine on grower for a few more weeks. Many on here do not provide layer til they see eggs, or til 20 weeks.

If you are feeding a good quality layer ration, you should not actually need oyster shell. The good quality rations provide plenty of calcium from sources other than oyster shells. Feeding the oyster shells is OK, but don't obsess over them if the hens don't eat them. If they are getting enough calcium in their diets without them, they likely won't eat them.

You won't need the oyster shell unless you notice your eggs getting a soft shell...and sometimes the first few eggs will have them just because it's normal but then will turn hard. I hardly ever use it...a bag will last me forever. Mine eat loads of grass and bugs along with a good quality feed so they have never had a problems with soft shells. IMO the younger ones should not have it yet.

I find that unless their bodies need it, they won't do much except pick at it, so yes, I put in oyster shell when I have a grown hen in the coop. I did it with my Delawares-one hen is a year old and her coop-mates will be 17 weeks this week.

Great! Thanks SpeckledHen. I use a mash that's called "All Way" by Big V Feeds out of McAlester, OK. It's 20% laying (as a supplement), starting and growing (as complete). I know not to switch to laying blend until they're closer to 20 weeks or when they actually start laying, but some books I read say to start blending it in to starter/grower around 18 weeks. I also give them about 2 cups of rolled oats/day, grass clippings, veggies/fruits and occasional scratch. I'm going to go ahead and put out the oyster shell (only a lil over $8 for a 50 lb. bag - sounds cheap to me!) because I believe your right - they'll eat it if they need it.

My only confusion on choosing the laying ration is Big V has 3 different types - one is called Hi-Pro 20% and the others are at 15%...no idea which would be best - especially in the heat of summer!

This one hen is a character! I only have to walk into the run and she immediately starts squatting - guess she thinks I'm a rooster!

Thanks Cynthia! Once again you have the best straight-forward advice. Was thinking I'll go with the 20% layer. From what I could find the main reason to go lower % would be to save on cost, but out here, there really isn't too much difference between the two.

Most layer feed is generally 16%-18%. I do think I'd rather do the 20% over the 15%, if those are the only two choices you have. My local co-op sells a 16% and a 22%. I alternate between the two. If I have lots of badly molting ladies, I go with the 22% for a time.

Ok, I thought the 15% was unusual. Guy at the feed store said I could just stay with the All Way and supplement with oyster shell. I have at least a week before I have to make that decision, so thanks again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom