Pain while drinking?

Cregg McMuffin

Chirping
Mar 29, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, our 4 year-old Cayuga, Gillyweed, appears to have pain while drinking. We've already contacted our vet, but she is out of town for a few weeks, so we are waiting to hear from another doc. She makes a pained noise when drinking water (like a strained quack). She doesn't do it every time she drinks, but it seems to be when she takes her first sip after a long while. She doesn't make the noise in the immediate subsequent sips. This is coupled with a lack of eating (she is fake eating). She will still take treats, and her behavior is otherwise normal. Could this be something wrong with her throat/mouth/tongue? I've included a video of the sound she makes as well as a picture of inside her mouth. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Video of Gilly Drinking/Squawking

IMG_4047.JPG

Last edited:
Hello, our 4 year-old Cayuga, Gillyweed, appears to have pain while drinking. We've already contacted our vet, but she is out of town for a few weeks, so we are waiting to hear from another doc. She makes a pained noise when drinking water (like a strained quack). She doesn't do it every time she drinks, but it seems to be when she takes her first sip after a long while. She doesn't make the noise in the immediate subsequent sips. This is coupled with a lack of eating (she is fake eating). She will still take treats, and her behavior is otherwise normal. Could this be something wrong with her throat/mouth/tongue? I've included a video of the sound she makes as well as a picture of inside her mouth. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Video of Gilly Drinking/Squawking

View attachment 3367613
Is t after water has not been available for a time ?
I don’t put water in my pen at night and in the morning my ducks make all kinds of noise while eating and drinking but then are fine throughout the day
What are you feeding as the main feed and what kind of treats ? Do you provide grit on the side as they need it to digest anything that is not regular feed
I add nutritional yeast to my feed this helps with niacin but also gives a flavour to the feed. My ducks really enjoy it

Is t after water has not been available for a time ?
I don’t put water in my pen at night and in the morning my ducks make all kinds of noise while eating and drinking but then are fine throughout the day
What are you feeding as the main feed and what kind of treats ? Do you provide grit on the side as they need it to digest anything that is not regular feed
I add nutritional yeast to my feed this helps with niacin but also gives a flavour to the feed. My ducks really enjoy it
They have access to water in their coop at all times. We brought her in last night to keep an eye on her and put water in her bassinet. Her noises were louder and more "squawky" in the overnight hours. Tried to time them, but I was groggy. She made these noises 1-2 times per hour last night while going to her water. Also, I am definitely used to the cute eating and drinking noises (the excited noises). These are more of a reaction to swallowing than being excited about anything.

Our ducks are on a non-layer feed, have access to grit, and get meal worms and cracked corn as snacks.

They have access to water in their coop at all times. We brought her in last night to keep an eye on her and put water in her bassinet. Her noises were louder and more "squawky" in the overnight hours. Tried to time them, but I was groggy. She made these noises 1-2 times per hour last night while going to her water. Also, I am definitely used to the cute eating and drinking noises (the excited noises). These are more of a reaction to swallowing than being excited about anything.

Our ducks are on a non-layer feed, have access to grit, and get meal worms and cracked corn as snacks.
@Cregg McMuffin how is your duck doing?

@Cregg McMuffin how is your duck doing?
She seems to be better now! I was out of the country while my wife was watching her and she seems to have returned to normal. Never identified the issue, but she made those pained quacking noises while drinking for about a week and a half. Slow onset, bad for a few days, and then started happening less and less and now we haven't heard it for a while. Whatever was bothering her seems to be gone. Thanks for checking in!

Back
Top Bottom