Paint inside of coop?

NO.
I hate to paint..haha!....and it was another cost added, both in cash and labor.

Can be good if:
-you're a cleaning fanatic....then a washable, glossy paint may please you.
-a white or light paint can increase reflected light in the coop making it easier to see in there.
-glopping paint into all the cracks and crevices can reduce the places pests can set up house.

To say nothing of the fact that your coop will last a lot longer; unpainted wood tends to 'biodegrade' a lot faster. Which of course also brings up the matter of molds that can be harmful to it's residents.

Use an exterior water based latex with all the coop doors, vents and windows open if the smell of paint bothers you.

Can be good if:
-you're a cleaning fanatic....then a washable, glossy paint may please you.
-a white or light paint can increase reflected light in the coop making it easier to see in there.
-glopping paint into all the cracks and crevices can reduce the places pests can set up house.

All the reasons that I voted yes to paint an lots of it. :D

I actually caulked every single seam and crack, 2 coats of primer and then a top coat of a good exterior semi-gloss inside and out.

All the reasons that I voted yes to paint an lots of it. :D

I actually caulked every single seam and crack, 2 coats of primer and then a top coat of a good exterior semi-gloss inside and out.

Same here! Three coats of white primer/sealer after caulking all seams as well. I want my coops to last!

Last edited:
I’m on the side of it’s probably not really necessary. I have a dirt floor. If you have a wooden floor, that’s a different situation, you need to do something. But for the sides, a barn Dad built over 60 years ago and never painted is still in good shape. The parts touching the ground were treated but not the sides and framing. The wood has weathered but since it is out of the damp and is well ventilated it has lasted quite well. It was built out of oak that he cut from his woodland and had sawn into boards. So that’s another factor, what is the inside of the coop made from. If it’s wood I don’t see a big problem, if it’s metal that will rust, yep you should paint.

I did paint the outside for appearances, but as far as inside no. Why? Partly it would be a waste of time and money. The chickens don’t care and I don’t either. That coop will outlast me, painted inside or not. I like it not-bright. I won’t say I like it dark, but I want more of a softer light inside. I make a lot of changes down there. I add and take out things as circumstances require. Why complicate a project down there, turning a minor adjustment into one that has to take into account the paint fumes and chicken’s respiratory systems. If you want it painted really pretty don’t you need to touch up paint if you mess it up by making modifications?

Mainly, I just don’t see a benefit to painting the inside. But if you are a person that likes to keep it spic and span clean inside, painting is probably a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom