Pale comb & waddles on hen whose chicks are 4 wks old

Huston's Happy Hens

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Dewitt, MI
We have a hen who went broody, so we let her sit on a clutch of eggs...the chicks are 4 wks old now and is it possible that the hen could be moulting now? she's lost a lot of feathers, and her comb and waddles are very pale....have been since before she started losing her feathers....she's eating the same food as the chicks, which is starter and I've read that it's fine for the hen....thoughts? btw, she is acting perfectly fine.

Its possible. Was she laying quite a bit before going broody. The combs and wattles of hens usually lose color during a laying season. And then, after going broody, she may not have ate much while setting. Therefore she would have continue to pale and not get the nutrients she needed to return her comb and wattles to color. If this happened, after she hatched the chicks then I have no idea.

Quote:
Thanks Scott - she did not eat well while laying on her eggs - I did try to get her to eat sunflower seeds, and some food, but she certainly was focused on the eggs! I've given her some scrambled eggs and will continue to do so to try and build her level back up - someone suggested tuna canned in oil - comments? Thanks for taking the time to respond Scott and btw, your birds are lovely - I did not have a rooster at the time these gals went broodie (2) so I purchased some fertilized eggs from Michigan State University where I work - we ended up with 3 buff bantam cochins, 1 black bantam cochin and 2 white crested black polish, also bantam....wonder how many males are in that bunch! It's been an enjoyable experience - and your coop is the BOMB! Nancy

my hen went broody and sat since the end of july until september 18 when some eggs i had to buy my to my rooster wasnt old enough hatched her comb and wattles are pale and she lost alot of weight she didnt seem to eat much I think when they get back to eating good it will get better

Back
Top Bottom