Pale(r) combs and faces, less laying - WHY?

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
I have eleven 15-month old hens that had been each laying nearly an egg/day since they were about 5-months old. Then, their laying all of a sudden dropped nearly in half.

We did have a round of lice a couple months before the decreased egg laying, but I see no signs of that since our few treatments a couple of months ago.

Then, there was the plague of buffalo gnats and then extreme weather change to HOT. They seemed to do okay through the gnat troubles, but around the weather change, along with their panting, I'd notice the paler combs and faces on some. That seemed to be when the egg laying decreased. However, the weather has once again changed to comfortable and they pant MUCH less. But, the eggs are still not coming in as strong as they once did and a few of the girls' combs and faces are still pale.

We did struggle with a momma rat and her babies for a bit, but that issue, too, has been resolved.

I've not noticed any mites, etc.

Any suggestions as to why the pale combs/faces and extreme lower egg production?

Thanks!

May I venture to suggest that you may have another problem with mites or lice ?

The symptoms you describe are symptomatic of a lice or mite problem in your flock..... when did you last treat them for any de-worming programme?

If you treated them recently for lice or mite problems what product did you use to eradicate the problem?

Any further information you can supply will help to determine a possible cause.

May I venture to suggest that you may have another problem with mites or lice ? 

The symptoms you describe are symptomatic of a lice or mite problem in your flock..... when did you last treat them for any de-worming programme?

If you treated them recently for lice or mite problems what product did you use to eradicate the problem?

Any further information you can supply will help to determine a possible cause.

I dusted them with Sevin, along with intense cleaning of their coop, roost and nesting boxes, a few times...until I noticed no more lice/eggs.

I have never done a deworming program as I'm not sure what use or do. I do keep use raw, organic apple cider vinegar in their daily water which has helped cure or keep at bay other issues.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
So... you can rule out any lice or mite problems (if you treated the flock within 7-10 days after the initial treatment with permethryn/sevin or frontline )

It may be prudent to treat the flock with a de-wormer such as albendazole.... the expert for de-worming advice is dawg53.... you may wish to pm him for his recommendation as to the appropriate treatment for the flock.

I wish you luck!

So... you can rule out any lice or mite problems (if you treated the flock within 7-10 days after the initial treatment with permethryn/sevin or frontline )

It may be prudent to treat the flock with a de-wormer such as albendazole.... the expert for de-worming advice is dawg53.... you may wish to pm him for his recommendation as to the appropriate treatment for the flock.

I wish you luck!

Thanks, they are being treated with a natural wormer right now ( paste of Cayenne, ACV, and raw garlic ) I only treat with chemicals when absolutely necessary.

I have read that cayenne. garlic and even chilli powder can be effective in helping to eradicate worms.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom