Pale Watery winter eggs.

woolymammoth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
What are some good supplements to get back that orange color and the thick creamy texture back to my eggs. I know they don't get as much forage in the winter. I've started giving them greens, heads of lettuce and mix in alfalfa pellets to their feed. I haven't given this time to see if it works. But any added help would be appreciated

Beta Carotene is the answer and barley sprouts would be a great way to accomplish that. Otherwise you can do spinach or baled alfalfa.

They will probably eat enough of the alfalfa to make a difference. Eggs just aren't as good in the winter time but what you're doing will be just about as good as anything. The sprouts though are probably the absolute best way to do it.

What are some good supplements to get back that orange color and the thick creamy texture back to my eggs. I know they don't get as much forage in the winter. I've started giving them greens, heads of lettuce and mix in alfalfa pellets to their feed. I haven't given this time to see if it works. But any added help would be appreciated
Watery eggs can be from age of hen, age of egg, protein etc.
I would feed them a feed that is at least 18% protein and contains some animal proteins in it.
As for darkening yolk color Alfalfa is good but also carrots, pumpkins, sweet potatoes.

Hi woolymammoth!

This is a great question – one that I know affects many flock raisers. One of the great joys in raising a backyard flock is that feeling of cracking open a bright-yellow egg!

For this reason, Purina Animal Nutrition includes marigold extract in our layer feeds – Purina
00ae.png
Layena
00ae.png
and Purina
00ae.png
Layena
00ae.png
Plus Omega-3 Premium Poultry Feeds. Marigold extract contains a high level of xanthophyll, which is a coloring agent that comes from marigolds. This ingredient should help your hens provide you with rich yellow yolks. Remember to limit additional feedstuffs to not more than 10% of your hens’ total diet to avoid compromising the nutritional profile needed for optimal health and egg production.

You can learn more about Purina
00ae.png
Layena
00ae.png
Crumbles or Pellets here.

Back
Top Bottom