Pallet Builds What do you use to treat wood.

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

We've built our coops from pallets. We don't want to paint them and like the natural wood but I'm think we want it to last and not rot. Husband has done a three layer system so we have an inside skin of pallets, then a breathable waterproof membrane followed by a second layer of pallet wood. Husband did this so when the outer layer rots he can just replace it with new but the main structure will remain.

Anyhow I've read that some put a coat of motor oil mixed with diesel on to protect the wood. Others have used sunflower oil.

Has anyone tried these? I feel like the fuel and motor oil wouldn't be safe but maybe I'm wrong?

What do other people use? If I could get hold of creosote I would use this but it's not available in small amounts for household use anymore.

Do not use the motor oil with diesel. That's toxic. Creosote is also toxic. If it was me I'd just go out and get some penetrating waterproofing sealer that will be clear when it's dry. That way it will retain the look of the natural wood.

Vegetable oil would go rancid and not keep the wood, motor oil and diesel sounds like a good one to cause fires or poison your birds.
You're going to want to get some deck sealer. Paint on and let dry for a few days.

Thank you guys! It sounded nuts to me but it came recommended. My dad creosoted everything.... actually that's not true he got me to creosote everything when I was a child 🤣 so it's always one I think of.

I think the sunflower oil is odd but maybe they were mixed up with linseed oil although maybe not as that's probably more expensive.

I don't want to vanish, maybe the linseed oil would work though we used this on our table I'm sure.

Thank you guys! It sounded nuts to me but it came recommended. My dad creosoted everything.... actually that's not true he got me to creosote everything when I was a child 🤣 so it's always one I think of.

I think the sunflower oil is odd but maybe they were mixed up with linseed oil although maybe not as that's probably more expensive.

I don't want to vanish, maybe the linseed oil would work though we used this on our table I'm sure.
Deck sealer is not always varnish, many soak in without leaving a shiny layer. I'm not sure if linseed oil will be enough to stand up to chickens.

Deck sealer is not always varnish, many soak in without leaving a shiny layer. I'm not sure if linseed oil will be enough to stand up to chickens.

Ah ok, I've never had a deck or anything really to paint outside, walls not fences, stone she'd etc so I will have a look and see if I can find a dealer instead of a vanish thank you!

If you put a good roof overhead that keeps the wood dry, I’d imagine it will last many years without any coating at all on the majority of the structure. Maybe just some pressure treated lumber for anything in contact with the ground. Also I believe some pallets are already treated lumber, refer to the stamp/brand on the pallet

If you put a good roof overhead that keeps the wood dry, I’d imagine it will last many years without any coating at all on the majority of the structure. Maybe just some pressure treated lumber for anything in contact with the ground. Also I believe some pallets are already treated lumber, refer to the stamp/brand on the pallet

This is good, husband said the same. He said the ground touching posts are pressure treated and the roof has over hang on all sides to protect the structure.

Back
Top Bottom