Panting chickens ?!?! Help

BonnieFierce

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Hi all,

I have sex links and 1 polish. The are all panting bc it is sooo hot out. They have shade where all of them are. I gave them ice cubes they are not interested.. I also gave them a little tub of water and they do not go in that either.. are they going to be alright? I’ve never heard of chickens panting. Help

Panting is their only way too cool off. It is normal in hot weather. Do NOT give them ice water as it can kill them. But plenty of cool water and shade is the best way to help them get thru the hot days. I usually put a fan in the henhouse on hot days to help cool things down so they can sleep at night. It should not blow directly on them but it should help circulate the air. ;)

Panting is normal when it's hot out. Shade, and plenty of fresh cool water help a lot. Wet spots on the ground help too. You can take a gallon jug, punch a few holes at the top section, so when you lay it down, the water drips. Now half fill the jug with water, and freeze it. Take it out during the hottest part of the day, and lay it on the ground, so the ice melts, and drips, making a nice cold wet spot on the ground for them.

Back
Top Bottom