panting duck?!!! don't think she's hot

CookieErnie

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2019
hi! I have two ducklings, just about 4 weeks old, one runner and one pekin. The Pekin pants now and then and I'm always able to help her stop panting by cooling her down (giving her cool water, running a fan in the living room where their brooder is). Today she just won't stop panting and I'm really concerned. They were outside foraging for most of the day and were happy and fine, but once I brought them inside for the evening, she started panting. She stopped for a while, but is now back to heavy panting. Here is a video. What could be wrong??

Lately she also does a bit of a honk when she breathes sometimes, I figured that was just her adult voice coming in, but now I'm not so sure.

Please help!

Welcome to BYC! It looks like more than just panting from heat. Normally when they are panting from heat they keep their eye open, but she keeps closing her eyes. Any chance you can get her to a vet in the morning?

I haven't been able to find a vet that will treat ducks in my area...Do you have any clue what could be going on?

I tried taking her back outside and she calmed down a bit, still panting but her eyes were open at least and then when I brought her back in, she threw up a bit of what looked like mud?

I'm putting her in a tub of cool water now and it seems to be helping more this time. Hoping that once I take her back out she stays okay...

I will once she poops again, I just cleaned it all up haha

I put them both in the bath because they don't like to be separated, and once I took them out they preened for a few minutes and are now sleeping peacefully with no panting...

Not really sure what the issue was because I gave them a bath/swim time right before I brought them inside, and thats when she started panting like that.

Going to keep a close eye on her for the rest of the night just to make sure she's okay.

this one seems to be a bit runnier than the last...

Attachments

• IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 102

Back
Top Bottom