Panting Duck?

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
I have a year old Runner x Harlequin duck who has been panting lately as if she is hot. I don't think she is really hot because the other ducks are fine and its only been in the 70-low 80's lately. She has access to a kiddie pool and plenty of water. She is active, eating like normal, and doesnt have any other signs of something being wrong.

Any ideas?

I have a year old Runner x Harlequin duck who has been panting lately as if she is hot. I don't think she is really hot because the other ducks are fine and its only been in the 70-low 80's lately. She has access to a kiddie pool and plenty of water. She is active, eating like normal, and doesnt have any other signs of something being wrong.

Any ideas?
Feel her bill, and her legs. Are they the same as everyone else’s, or are they hot? Panting can accompany a fever, from illness.

It probably is hot to the duck! Can you post a picture of her? Could she be egg bound? Is her water hot?
I dont think egg bound, she lays regularly every day and its really easy to tell its hers since she lays massive blue eggs. They have two auto waterer buckets, two rubber bowls, and a kiddie pool for water and as far as I can feel they all feel cool and are in the shade 90% of the day. I dont have a recent photo but her feathers seem healthy and sleek with no missing patches or roughed up parts. I'll try and catch her to feel her legs and bill to see if she is feverish. She hasnt panted yet today so I'm hoping she just wasnt used to the warming weather.

Back
Top Bottom