Panting Ducks!

Bow8746

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2015
For the last 2 days my 2 1/2-3 week old ducklings are panting. They are supplied with fresh food and water their light is even raised a little higher thinking it could be too much light. Please give me any input on the situation.

Its only 80 degrees Fahrenheit and there only 2-3 week old ducklings. There's plenty of room for them to escape the heat there're in a big plastic bin.

Try turning the light off for a short time and see if they stop panting. You could have a faulty thermometer giving you false readings, or it could be in a spot that doesn't get much heat compared to the rest.

How warm is it where you are located right now? Sounds like they don't need the heat anymore. My cayugas only needed heat their first week of life, after that they were too warm with the heat lamp on and would pant. I'd do as Amykins suggested and turn off their heat lamp for awhile and see what they do. If they start to huddle together and look cold, then they still need the lamp and maybe you can move it up higher above the brooder so it doesn't get quite so warm in there. Otherwise if they seem comfortable without the heat lamp, then it's time to just remove it.

Okay Thanks. I'm going to try turning out their lamp and see how they respond.

Back
Top Bottom