Parakeet egg incubating??

FeatherProfessor

Songster
Feb 3, 2023
FL
So, a funny thing happened today at the pet store. I was picking up treats for my dog with my two kids and they noticed a little egg in with the group of juvenile parakeets. I am on pretty friendly terms with the owners and employees because I go there often and the shift manager handed the egg to one of my kids and told him he could have it. I scooped it up before it got scrambled.

Now I’m wondering how to go about incubating it? I don’t even know where to begin but I did Google quickly and saw it 17 to 20 days for a parakeet to hatch. This thing is unbelievably tiny and probably not even fertile but I think it would be worth a try. Did a quick candle with my cell phone light and it appears to have an intact air cell and a yolk.

Does anybody on here possibly have experience with parakeets? I know it’s a long shot. Picture for tax.

Attachments

• 15368964-FE85-4C1F-BBC7-312DBFCDBD52.jpeg
    15368964-FE85-4C1F-BBC7-312DBFCDBD52.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 21
Unless you know how to handfeed it takes allot of time. And usually baby parakeets need crop milk from mom the first week, I have incubated a parakeet egg before because at the time the hen wasnt sitting on it but once hatched I had a pair with newly hatched chicks so it worked. Heres one of my hens today with a chick thats fostered because other mom starved the first two.
20230518_113217.jpg

I know you have to feed the babies small amounts almost constantly and that they hatch naked. Not mobile and self feeding like poultry chicks
Yeah that’s what the pet store does. It’s an old school operation focused on birds (with other stuff but they mainly deal with birds). They hand feed all their babies and have close to 10 different species at any given time. If it starts to develop at all, I’m going to get a copy of their procedures. I’m just not sure how much is different for the incubation aspect

Unless you know how to handfeed it takes allot of time. And usually baby parakeets need crop milk from mom the first week, I have incubated a parakeet egg before because at the time the hen wasnt sitting on it but once hatched I had a pair with newly hatched chicks so it worked. Heres one of my hens today with a chick thats fostered because other mom starved the first two.View attachment 3510181
Oof that’s no Bueno. What a gorgeous foster mom though!

Back
Top Bottom