Paralisi

Agreed, a feed formulated for chickens would be best. The issue with grains is they will often pick and choose those they like, and leave the rest. That can lead to deficiencies. The vitamins shown should cover it all, some of them are really high dosages so I wouldn't use them long term. Only other thought is if she could have been exposed to some kind of toxin, that might cause neurological symptoms. Without vet care, neurological things can be very hard to diagnose. Even with vet care they aren't easy.

The first day I found her paralyzed, I too thought she might be intoxicated and I realized that the day before she and other hens had had access to an area where I had thrown many sprouted onions for compost. unfortunately they had eaten them all.
but the other hens didn't have any problems.
also I think after 15 days the toxic effects should be over.
another hypothesis I have made is that being the latest arrival, she may have been severely pecked on the head and had neurological trauma.
Marek is a rejected hypothesis because I think she would have already died or should have other symptoms.

The first day I found her paralyzed, I too thought she might be intoxicated and I realized that the day before she and other hens had had access to an area where I had thrown many sprouted onions for compost. unfortunately they had eaten them all.
but the other hens didn't have any problems.
also I think after 15 days the toxic effects should be over.
another hypothesis I have made is that being the latest arrival, she may have been severely pecked on the head and had neurological trauma.
Marek is a rejected hypothesis because I think she would have already died or should have other symptoms.
I’ve noticed that among flocks, symptoms can vary from bird to bird after toxic consumption. For example I’ve seen coccidiosis wreak havoc on one bird and not even touch another. So she may be trying to recover from the onion (read about heinz body anemia- a serious side effect of onion poisoning).

Or it could be a neurological condition like you mentioned. This can come from head trauma but more often from poor nutrition and/or vitamin deficiencies.

I would keep up with the vitamins, they cover all bases, but watch your dosage. Highly concentrated vitamins should be offered in moderation. Read instructions on label and decrease slightly (add to water and make this the only water source if need be). Keep her on a good protein feed for chickens specifically. Lay off sweets and treats. Offer greens and chicken-safe weeds (dandelion leaves are a nutrition powerhouse).

After a week of this, if she is not improving, quarantine her and continue. She may be getting access to areas and bacteria you’re not aware of while she is free roam.

Thanks, very interesting the question about Heinz anemia.
She is already in quarantine. I will still continue with vitamins, plants, egg yolk and the Purina food recommended here.

Hi!
40 days have passed since I found the hen paralised.
I have done vitamin supplements without having noticeable results. The hen increased her weight (1/3).
I have see in last week that she was starting to position his paws correctly and had some input to move. I continue with the treatments. I have just one doubt. Can I exclude (consider the 40 days of illness ) that it is Marek?
It is in quarantine but I have other hen and I don’t want have other infection.

Oh… I didn’t know about test for Marek.
My Vet tell me only necropsy. I will look for another vet.

Back
Top Bottom