casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Internal parasites (endoparasites, worms, helminths)

Gastrointestinal roundworms (nematodes)

• Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)

• Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)

• Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
Source: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933

-Kathy

The information in that post are from a book, and so there is no URL. However, one can buy the book.
big_smile.png

Google "Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook". Pictures are from the 7th edition.

Thanks I went on line and found the 8th edition of the handbook for around $80.00
which may be of interest to those wanting to learn about medications etc

I would like to comment here:
I appreciate Casportpony Kathy for all the years of her studying and learning,
about caring for poultry in many avenues of interest to us all.
thanks again for this Kathy.
Glenda Heywood

Prophylactic Deworming

I have been saying this for years (because I have been seeing this for years!) and here it is: Many young and adult birds can be harboring ascarids (especially if they were parent-raised for any length of time) and you can run fecals all day, and guess what? The fecals will almost always be negative. A paper out of the Univ. of Georgia a few years back confirmed this. Many a time I have been a hero when I have dewormed a bird during a second or third opinion, when it passes a pile of ascarids and shocks the owner after being repeatedly told by other vets that "the fecal was negative." Well, deworm it anyway, with something safe. I routinely use pyrantel pamoate, since you can't hurt a bird with it, unless you aspirate it!
Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/challenges.html

Active ingredients

The benzimidazoles and pro-benzimidazoles most relevant for veterinary use on cattle, sheep, goats, pig, poultry dogs and cats are the following:
  • Albendazole, massively used on livestock, less on pets
  • Febantel, (pro-benzimidazole), vastly used on pets, less on livestock
  • Fenbendazole, massively used on livestock and pets
  • Flubendazole, moderately used on livestock (mainly pig and poultry) and pets
  • Mebendazole, moderately used on livestock and pets
  • Netobimin, (pro-benzimidazole), scarcely used on livestock
  • Oxfendazole, scarcely used on livestock (mainly ruminants) and pets
  • Oxibendazole, scarcely used on livestock (mainly pig) and pets
  • Ricobendazole, moderately used on livestock (mainly ruminants)
  • Thiabendazole, very seldom, mostly replaced
  • Thiophanate (pro-benzimidazole) very seldom, mostly replaced
  • Triclabendazole, vastly used on livestock (only ruminants)
Several benzimidazoles such as cambendazole and parbendazole have been vastly replaced by newer, more effective and safer active ingredients.
Parasites controlled by benzimidazoles

SpectrumNTC.jpg
As a thumb rule, the most relevant benzimidazoles and pro-benzimidazoles have the following spectrum of activity:
Beside the activity against adult and larval stages of roundworms and flukes, an important feature for all anthelmintics is whether they control so-called arrested or dormant larvae as well. These are larvae that after infecting a host do not continue development to adults immediately but remain in the tissues for several months, to "wake up" later on and resume development when the conditions for their development are more favorable.
Efficacy against arrested larvae and against each specific parasite depends strongly on the dose used, and different commercial brands may be dosed differently. Therefore, read the label instructions to be sure whether a particular product covers the spectrum of activity you need.
Unless delivered using a slow-release device, benzimidazoles have no residual effect. This means that a single administration will kill the parasites in the host, but will not protect against re-infestations.
Benzimidazoles do not control external parasites such as flies, ticks, mites, etc. They neither control larvae (maggots) of parasitic flies that cause myiases.

Source: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2440&Itemid=2701

-Kathy

Last edited:
In Australia the only thing you can get to worm poultry with is levimasole. I don't believe its safe and I'm planning to get some praziquantel for our next worm. There is also no evidence it works on gape.
Here in the US the only "poultry" wormer is labeled for meat chicken and turkeys, but we can buy other drugs and use them "off label". I just did a quick search on eBay and it looks like Australians can get fenbendazole. Seems like there are two types of the liquid, one is a 10%, one is a 2.5%. Treat for gapes is fenbendazole: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...le.TRS0&_nkw=fenbendazole&ghostText=&_sacat=0

This book says gape treatment is fenbendazole at 30mg/kg for 5 days, but I saw a study that said 20mg for three days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Niclosamide is toxic for geese, and the combination of praziquantel with pyrantel tartrate is toxic for chicken!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for the great info and details K. as always.
You're welcome! On my list of things to do is to find treatments for all those worms listed.
big_smile.png
Know how to treat roundworms, cecal worms, capillary worms, gapes and tapes, but not sure on the others.

Did you know that fenbendazole (Safeguard) does not treat flukes? That I just learned. Albendazole does, but I don't know what the does is yet.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom