partial hatch - what now?

Milkywayranchsc

Chirping
Feb 10, 2019
I posted under the assisted hatch help thread, but didn't get any replies yet there. So, I'm starting a new thread.

I have a circumstance that is new to me. My mallard hen went broody and sat on a clutch of her eggs, pekin eggs and welsh harlequin eggs for almost four weeks. I moved them to a secure crate prior to hatching and she didn't like that. After three days of her refusing to sit on them anymore, I moved them to an incubator. One egg started to pip, and then zip. There were two pips about and inch apart with a thin line between. Then, nothing. I started to help, and gently opened the membrane around the bill, but there was blood. I missed the part about wiping coconut oil on the membrane first so the veins would be easier to see. I stopped when I saw blood and I tried again a few hours later. I got the little face out, and was able to peak inside the shell and saw what looked like a bit of yolk left to be absorbed (looks like a yellow pillow with small veins around it). Baby Sheldon has been wearing his remaining shell segment for 48 hours now without making any attempt to get out. He is still breathing. I still see blood in the membrane near the exposed edges and a small yellow "pillow" near the pointed end of the shell. He looks fully developed. What is going on? Did I help way too soon? Will he ever finish absorbing and be ready to come out?

Attachments

• 62195839_2305106516408028_8768875324826976256_o.jpg
    62195839_2305106516408028_8768875324826976256_o.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
You have to leave it until the yolk is fully absorbed, that's what I meant. It will not live outside of the egg without the yolk being fully absorbed.

Back
Top Bottom