Partial molt?

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
My flock is 40 weeks old this week.....for the last week or so I have noticed a bunch of Barred Rock feathers and started checking the girls out and one of them seems to have lost all the feathers on her neck and a fair amount of her tail feathers. They are growing back now and she is almost normal but looked pretty pitiful for a couple of days....I know she is not being picked on because she is the queen of the castle.

I didn't think they molted the first year? It's only her neck and tail feathers? Everything else looks fine....

She seems to be the only one that is doing that right now....Normal?

My flock is 40 weeks old this week.....for the last week or so I have noticed a bunch of Barred Rock feathers and started checking the girls out and one of them seems to have lost all the feathers on her neck and a fair amount of her tail feathers. They are growing back now and she is almost normal but looked pretty pitiful for a couple of days....I know she is not being picked on because she is the queen of the castle.

I didn't think they molted the first year? It's only her neck and tail feathers? Everything else looks fine....

My 9 month old silkies are going through a partial molt, so not completely abnormal.

I'm so glad you posted this. My 39 week old BR is doing the same. She has 2 tail feathers left, lots of butt fluff missing and on her face/neck area (bald patches on throat and top of head). Lots new coming in. Mine is still laying, routinely and the egg size is increasing, up to 62 grams now. She was laying in the 55 gram range in November.

All my new girls molted and sometimes they do it in almost January. I think that there's nothing to worry about as long as she is getting her feathers back.

Back
Top Bottom