Partridge Chantecler Laying Blue Eggs

Eggscoozme

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Michigan
I noticed some time ago that my Partridge Chantecler has white earlobes. Well, that's not right, they should be red. Thinking I'm mixing her up in my mind with some other breed, I scanned my mental files, and thought, no, that IS my Partridge Chantecler. For one thing, she has virtually no comb or wattles. That is the only breed I ordered that has no combs/wattles. Secondly, her plumage is Partridge. Now, this little, actual big, gal has gone broody - for couple months now! Tired of this shenanigans, I tried moving her up enough to see how many eggs the other chickens have laid with her. Mind you, I have 4 other nesting boxes, but as is common, the hens decide which is the "primo" ones and stick to those. WELL, there was only a BLUE egg under her. There has ONLY BEEN BLUE EGGS under her, when I check. Thinking one of my other hens might be using only her box to lay eggs in, didn't think much of it. Then I realized, I don't think I have a blue egg layer in that flock. Sooo, to make this long story a little shorter, it dawned on me that my PC may be laying this blue egg. She DOES have white earlobes. How can this be? What would a PC have gotten bred with for a PC to have white earlobes and lay blue eggs?

DSCN0965.JPG DSCN0972.JPG DSCN0966.JPG

I noticed some time ago that my Partridge Chantecler has white earlobes. Well, that's not right, they should be red. Thinking I'm mixing her up in my mind with some other breed, I scanned my mental files, and thought, no, that IS my Partridge Chantecler. For one thing, she has virtually no comb or wattles. That is the only breed I ordered that has no combs/wattles. Secondly, her plumage is Partridge. Now, this little, actual big, gal has gone broody - for couple months now! Tired of this shenanigans, I tried moving her up enough to see how many eggs the other chickens have laid with her. Mind you, I have 4 other nesting boxes, but as is common, the hens decide which is the "primo" ones and stick to those. WELL, there was only a BLUE egg under her. There has ONLY BEEN BLUE EGGS under her, when I check. Thinking one of my other hens might be using only her box to lay eggs in, didn't think much of it. Then I realized, I don't think I have a blue egg layer in that flock. Sooo, to make this long story a little shorter, it dawned on me that my PC may be laying this blue egg. She DOES have white earlobes. How can this be? What would a PC have gotten bred with for a PC to have white earlobes and lay blue eggs?

If she is broody it's very unlikely that they are her eggs, hens normally stop laying when they go broody.

Back
Top Bottom