Partridge Rock with Crookneck?

derbychick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Charlestown, IN
We have a 4-5 week old Partridge Rock that is holding her neck strangely, frequently holding her head between her legs and walking backward. I've done a lot of googling and it seems like it must be what is often called "crookneck." She started exhibiting these symptoms Friday evening. Sunday we started giving her polyvisol, 2 drops twice a day. She is no worse, but no better either. Still eating, drinking, and eliminating. Any thoughts? Should we be doing more? Oh, I have also ordered avia charge which should be arriving any day now. It'll be okay to give to all 4 chicks, correct?

And in terms of administering the polyvisol--I'm sure there are members of my family who would've paid money to see me trying to sweet-talk Wendy into opening her beak for me!! I ended up letting it soak into a few flecks of feed and she ate that. Are there better ways?

Thanks!!!

The symptoms of crookneck or limberneck, can be neurological from an injury (particularly in silkies or other birds with vaulted skulls), or can be caused by deficiencies or a few other diseases including botulism and Newcastles disease.
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/dissymp.htm

If you feel that it is from vitamin deficiencies, then I suggest also giving the chick some vitamin E, as that is what some silkie owners suggest for crookneck in silikes.

I have not been successful in treating it, but others have. Good luck.

chel

Thanks for your response and the link! I am so puzzled. Her condition has not deteriorated at all since we really noticed it 4 or 5 days ago. She's still walking around, preening, hopping around, etc., and her feathers still look healthy. I'm wondering if she injured herself... I just don't know! We only have 4, and they're all on Purina start & grow, so I can't imagine it would be a vitamin deficiency. I will try the vitamin E/selenium thing and see what happens. As long as she doesn't get any worse, we'll keep trying things. I can't see any indication that she's actually in pain or suffering at all. Fortunately the others aren't picking at her... she's one of the larger 2, and the de facto leader, a Jersey Giant, makes sure the two little upstarts don't mess with her.

Back
Top Bottom