Partridge Silkie Babies Genders

Lhubbard

Songster
5 Years
Feb 1, 2019
Anyone want to guestimate what these cuties genders are?

Im just so curious and also want to name them!

Attachments

• 20190304_081330.jpg
    20190304_081330.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 13
If you are in a hurry, you can send feathers, blood or if you still have them, their egg shells in for dna sexing. Their are several online companies if you do a google search. A few off the top of my head is Iqbirdtesting.com that charges $12 and animal genetics (I believe it’s called) which was about $25. I went with the cheaper one personally. It’s hard to wait~ especially for silkies! Good luck!

Ive read elsewhere that with this coloring some have been able to tell this early. I thought it may be fun to hear guestimates.

They are just 2 days old.

Attachments

• 20190304_100053.jpg
    20190304_100053.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 12
Other ways you can determine their sex is by the length of their little feathers on their wing. The longer the feather is the more likely it is to be a female if it's short it will probably be a boy. But if their 2 weeks old you can not use this way to determine the sex.

The wing feather technique doesn't work for certain breeds, including silkies. Apart from paying for a DNA test, silkies are one of those breeds that are impossible to sex until they are around 3 months old (regardless of color).

At 3 months, you can expect to see larger combs/waddles on any cockerels. Their crests should have 'streamer' feathers coming out from the backs of them. 'Streamer' feathers are just feathers that are longer than the rest of the crest feathers, and tend to fan out a little. Pullets will have almost non-existent combs/waddles, and no streamer feathers. Their crests will be rounder. If you're unsure, we should be able to help you, given clear photos of crests, combs, and sides.

Name wise, I would just give them some gender neutral names or a name that can easily be changed to fit a different sex. Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone! Some sage advice and suggestions.

So just for fun here, is the fact that they have different coloring at all a clue that they might be different sexes?

Back
Top Bottom