Pastoral Poultry, Traditional Farming For A Modern Era

I'm still a couple weeks away from getting my first eggs . I just got my first birds in April. I add oyster shells to the ff sometimes there isn't any left in the dish sometimes there is. I also provide oyster she'll free choice. The rest of the mixture is a local non gmo feed, scratch, boss, and raw acv. Since it's been hot here in Ky they haven't eaten much ff and have stuck to chasing bugs and free range. I guess it helps that the grass was just cut so that really stired things up.

Just trying to put some life into this old thread. This year I'm looking at grazing birds in a relay system of mixed species managed intensive grazing. Cows, followed by goats or sheep with pigs, a rest period, followed by Muscovy ducks with layer hens. Does anyone have experience with pasturing poultry in a mixed species grazing model? Does anyone have tips to share? How about pasture planting mixes for poultry? I hear white clover is a good legume to include for poultry also that chickens don't like to eat the alfalfa when on pasture.

SJ... wow, it's been so long since we've revived this thread. Thanks for giving it a sit, I still believe in it
1f642.png
I'm considering mixed-flock grazing this year, but I've never gone mixed species. I know there's a lot of examples out there, and I'd love to know how it works for you. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or space to manage larger herbivores, but I wish I did. I think my brother has dabbled in it a little, maybe we can entice him back to the thread.

Mobile laying houses will be in the works as spring progresses. Predators are the main concerns in design concept. Mink,coon, skunk, opossum, owl, fox, coyote, muskrat, are the most likely to prey on the flock or take eggs. Anyone convert a horse/cattle trailer to a MOBILE LAYING HOUSE. Any other tips or suggestion for a laying house for pastured poultry? Mobility is critical here as the hens will be on "clean up" duty after hiefers graze paddocks. Planning now, building in a couple months. Budget is flexible to the expected service lifetime.

We use open bottom tractors, but that works with coyotes, not sure about your critters. I've seen a number of people use old cotton trailers for mobile houses to great effect. They are about 8'x20', require some construction, but work quite well. I'd concur on electric netting

The idea is that these birds be free during daylight hours, electric netting will be used around the laying house each evening. The house must double as a predator secure coop or roost and be mobile. Cotton wagon? Ill check this out. Thanks again.

Cotton wagons are a more southern thing I found out. I like the concept. I decided I will use some running gear and build on it.

Anyone done this yet? I wonder, how many hens a mobile laying house like this accommodates? 50 100 120+?

Just trying to budget and make realistic projections.

Thanks Again bayocum

Back
Top Bottom