Pasty bottom! Help!

boogburr37

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Kentucky
A few of my chicks have pasty butt, i have tried to clean it off and then put a little Neosporin on it but it just doesn't work. I need ideas how to fix this.. I heard you could give them a "bath" but im not sure how.. I just want my little babies to get better :(

You can apply a little vaseline or mineral oil to keep it from sticking. Also give them a little apple cider vinegar (teaspoon per quart) mixed with their water or some plain yogurt to get their digestive system working properly. Should take care of the problem.

I had the same problem when I first started with chickens. You have to keep their bottoms clean or they can get clogged and die. I soaked their little bottoms in warm water till it softened and then once I learned I made sure to check every ones bottoms every day. They need some greens in their diets. I take them out now for a little bit every day to forage. They need some grit in their tummies to digest the greens. Make sure they have clean fresh water 24/7. The heat lamps are drying too which makes for pasty bottoms.

I soaked the ones who had in in a little dish of water then applied some oil.. I also raised the lamp some. they don't really like the yogurt but i saw that eggs will help too so i boiled one and mashed it up and fed it to them and mixed in the yogurt and they will eat that. Can you not use distilled white vinegar?

I have been using that.. But i always mix it a little weak. Do you put yours in two separate dishes like it says?

I am really new to all of this-like 2 days into a life long dream of having my own "mini-farm"-I got 3 Pullets and 3 Red Pullets but the littlest one got a crusty butt. Following the advice I found here I soaked a cloth and softened the stool to remove it. I'm worried though because the hick is very lethargic and has a bulge between the legs like its full of waste but can't manage to pass it. I am afraid I may lose this one-any ideas on what to do next? Any advice is welcome-I want them happy and to enjoy my dream:)

Back
Top Bottom