chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
Good morning! I have one chick (naked neck partridge silkie) who continuously has pasty butt. I clean her off multiple times a day, they have probiotics in their water, I change the water 2 times a day, the temperature is steady, I have her on an in medicated organic starter feed, and she has access to chuck grit, though, she’s not getting any treats. I know she’s not getting picked on, it’s the reverse, actually, she pecks everyone else in the brooder. I don’t know what to do. Her bum is still sticking out as shown in attached picture, however, now she has a bloody bum each time I clean her off and it’s looking a bit crusty. I’m using a baby wash cloth soaked in warm water and I apply Vaseline after each time. I don’t know what to do. She is thriving, otherwise. She’s my only chick that has had pasty butt at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• A0A8AFC5-74F9-43CB-8F3F-20C48A0C8B30.jpeg
    A0A8AFC5-74F9-43CB-8F3F-20C48A0C8B30.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 20
It's not a very good photo. Can barely see what may be a swollen vent. It's not apparent by the photo that there is a crusty bleeding wound. Try again for a better picture of the vent.

Your chick may be constipated even though it appears there's an abundance of poop on its butt. A half teaspoon of coconut oil given directly into the chick's beak might help this condition.

Scrubbing repeatedly the delicate vent tissue results in swelling, and that in turn presents a choice target for the other chicks to peck it and make it much worse. A little cortisone cream on the swollen vent can help reduce the pain and swelling.

Irrigating the crusty butt with some warm soapy water, then blotting and patting dry with a cotton ball would be a better method of cleaning than scrubbing with a wash cloth.

It's not a very good photo. Can barely see what may be a swollen vent. It's not apparent by the photo that there is a crusty bleeding wound. Try again for a better picture of the vent.

Your chick may be constipated even though it appears there's an abundance of poop on its butt. A half teaspoon of coconut oil given directly into the chick's beak might help this condition.

Scrubbing repeatedly the delicate vent tissue results in swelling, and that in turn presents a choice target for the other chicks to peck it and make it much worse. A little cortisone cream on the swollen vent can help reduce the pain and swelling.

Irrigating the crusty butt with some warm soapy water, then blotting and patting dry with a cotton ball would be a better method of cleaning than scrubbing with a wash cloth.

I’ll try to get a better photo this afternoon. I guess I should have been a little more clear, I don’t scrub it. I just hold the wash cloth on her bum until it’s soft enough to blot off with the rag. I will start with some coconut oil and cortisone cream. I’ll keep you updated. Thank you for the advice!

I had a similar issue with a chick recently.

a lot of cleaning. I did not use coconut oil but I did add electrolytes to their water. I also checked the temp in the brooder to make sure it wasn't too hot or cold.

Back
Top Bottom